Renault 19 secondary electric waterpump help needed!

Hiya, I have a 1991 Renault 19 TXE 1.7 injection, which I've owned for nearly two years. In the summer, after switching the engine off while it's hot, the cooling fan will cut in shortly after, and run for a long time, sometimes up to 25 minutes, as there's no water flow around the engine, and I'm guessing there's a hot spot in the rad, near the cooling fan switch. I always just thought it was just a silly design feature to have the cooling fan permanently live, until I noticed this weekend, that it has a second (electric) water pump (which isn't working), to carry on pumping a limited amount of coolent around the engine for a while, once you've switched the engine off, therefore sorting out my cooling fan fault above!

My question is, how does this system work, so I can go about tracing the fault? I've put power straight to the pump, and it runs OK. But when should it be given power? I ran the engine up til the fan cut in, then switched it off, and there was no power at the plug of the pump. When does this pump kick in? Everytime you switch the engine off, on a timed relay? Is there another temp sensor on the engine, that kicks this pump in when it's at a certain temp (and engine is off)? I would really like to get this system working again, so any advice from Renault owners would be helpful, plus any locations of the relays or sensors!

Thanks for any help given :)

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Long

Well as an easy bodge you could drive a relay off the fan thermo switch.

Reply to
Duncan Wood