renault 5 noise

Hi, Just wondering if anybody has any ideas, I have a noise coming from the engine area of my friends Renault 5 its a sort of whirling noise. It gets louder as the car drives along, it is more noticable when driving along, it sounds abit like the old daffs use to.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

it's the engine nothing to worry about :) maybe it needs a more detailed explanation than "whirling"? does he drive a washing machine? :)

ok, does it get louder the faster you go or does it get louder as you change up gears and then go away again till the engine revs rise sorta?

Reply to
dojj

Alternator drive belt on way out - or alternator, or water pump -- Maybe something as simple as the engine cooling fan coming on!

Tip - I keep a 2ft length of garden hose for just such occasions, makes a superb stethoscope ...

Get tube, open bonnet, start engine, stcik one end of tube in ear, wave other end of tube about engine compartment until noise found - bingo!.

Reply to
R. Murphy

Hi she could well drive a washing machine as well, I'll ask her for you - though from my own experience I've never seen anyone driving a washing machine, but there's always a first time for everything.

on to your second input: the sound gets louder the faster the car goes, when changing gear the second is down then up, I haven't really been in that depth yet, the car passed me the other day I hadn't realised it was her car till she arrived at work. I'm asking these questions so I have something to base my ideas on. It sounded like the clutch release bearing from what I heard.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

I was hoping it was a known fault on these vehicles, I haven't had much to do with Reno's, I normally avoid them to but honest. bill

Reply to
Bill

:)

the release bearing would sound like a rattle, and from what I've experienced, they don't really sound bad unless you are changing gears I may be wrong though, I have no ideas about R5's unless it's the turbo version ;) could it not be a drive belt if the sound goes up and down with the engine speed? or possibly other gearbox related things like a bearing on the way out in the diff or something? just some other directions to take you in so you don't think "ok, it's this" and forget about other things it could possibly be ;)

Reply to
dojj

Cheers I'm going to devise a list from all the suggestions I get here. This will give me a direction - I'm hoping its not going to be a big job - as I'm doing it has a favour the company may charge her if it takes up a lot of hours.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

cheers I'll bear this garden hose in mind. I still haven't got the car yet - the girls been on holiday can't wait to get stuck in.

Bill

Reply to
Bill