Renault Clio 1.2 '91 cold start problem and grinding noise

Hello everyone,

Has anyone experienced the following problem (which is on a 1992 1.2 Renault Clio)

Starting from cold is somewhat tricky. Starting with no throttle at all it will start and then die (start with light throttle and it struggles a little then normally dies), second attempt or sometimes third it is fine. Starting from warm no problem.

I've checked the air cleaner and had a look at the throttle mechanism under the housing. When you switch the ignition off it opens the throttle a little via a plunger that sits on the end of the throttle linkage, I'm guessing there is no idle bypass on this car and it controls it itself via the throttle plunger thingy. Spark plugs look perfect, gap close to spot on, plug leads look fine although I gave them a good squirt with WD40 and made sure they were on properly. Checked dizzy cap and rotor arm - both were shot so I've replaced them both. None of the above seem to have helped though.

There is sometimes a slight grating/grinding noise when turning hard right. Is this likely to be the CV joint? I've check the gaitor on the passenger side which is where it appears to be coming from and it looks fine, I took off the clip and checked and it's got grease in it (new clip put on after). Is is a big/expensive job to do?

Any ideas gratefully received.

Matthew

Reply to
Matt Horn