Renault Kangoo instrument problem

My mother's Renault Kangoo (about 5 to 6 years old) has suffered some sort of electrical failure and now the temperature gauge, the speedometer and the petrol gauge have all stopped working.

The local main dealer has said that the only repair option it to replace the whole instrument cluster at a cost of over £600 which seems more than a little steep.

Anyone any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong and possible cheaper fixes?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Give these guys a call?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

ask someone like bba-reman, they do a collect and fix service.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Cheers. Looks like that might be the way to go.

My mother now tells me that this has happened before in damp weather but it recovered spontaneously. Does this info help with any likely diagnoses?

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

No idea, I regard all French cars as off limits, if possible .

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sensible policies for a better Britain.....

JB

Reply to
JB

Well, I went to have a look at it and after wasting 15 minutes looking in the wrong places for the fuse box, I eventually found it and checked the fuses which were okay. Of course I managed to kill the radio so finding the radio code was another job to add to the list. ;-)

I then turned to disassembling the instrument console which turned out to be really easy. I did the usual wiggling and unplugging/replugging of all connectors but nothing came back to life so I removed the instrument pack prior to sending it off.

Seeing as I had my torx screwdriver in my hand, I thought I'd have a peak inside the console but there wasn't really anything that I could easily get at without pulling the needles off the dials which I didn't want to do without being sure if that was the way forward. I put the back cover back on and tried it one last time reconnected to all the wires, and it worked!

I've no idea what made the difference or how long it will go on working but for the moment Arnold Clarke isn't getting a bucket load of my mother's money whcih makes me happy. ;-)

I've suggested that it might not be a bad time to think about changing her car for something more reliable & less costly to repair.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

A few years back a friend had a Kangoo that started doing funny things... it turned out to be the windscreen leaking water into the passenger footwell area and down behind the dash onto and into the body control computer. It might be worth your while checking that it isn't flooded, the watermark was easily visible as was the water :)

Reply to
Chris Dugan
[...]

Nothing French then?

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Thanks a lot for the infos, I took mine apart, and I couldn't see anything obvious burned or interupted inside of them,and they were not working after conected them back So I ended up buying new cluster instruments from a junkyard for about 25 EUR

Reply to
boscamarius90