Renault Laguna Air control valve - location

Hi all,

My Ren Laguna (97, 1800cc, 8 valve, single point injection) has an intermittent low idle speed problem.

I've Google group searched, and found various useful posts (mostly on this group) relating to idle speed problems. From these I've pretty much eliminated temp sensor and throttle stepper motor, and the electrical connectors look clean and good, as do the hoses.

I think therefore that it is most likely to be the idle speed air control valve, and it looks worthwhile trying to clean it with white spirit or switch cleaner before replacement . My problem is that it is not mentioned/shown in the Haynes manual, and I can't see anything which particularly looks like a solenoid operated valve.

I assume it has to be attached to the throttle body or inlet manifold.....

There is a unit on the front (block) side of the throttle body, with a four pin connector, which includes a spring stop operated by the throttle - this would I assume be the stepper motor and throttle closed switch.

At the side of the throttle body, opposite end to the throttle cable assembly, is a black plastic plate, 8mm thick ish, with a three pin connector in the centre, bolted (unhelpfully) on with 4 security torx screws. Is this the air control valve?

Or am I looking in entirely the wrong place.

Any clues much appreciated

Charles F.

-------------------- Remove NOSPAM in email address

Reply to
Charles Fearnley

On the Spi you will have a stepper motor. There will be no ISCV- these are used on mpi engines. Your stepper motor or more likely the idle range microswitch is most likely to have problems if you have either a stuck high idle or one that nearly stalls before it recovers.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Snip

Spi you will have a stepper motor. There will be no ISCV- these are

Thanks for that information Tim, it explains why I can't find an ISCV.....

The stepper motor always opens the throttle correctly at a cold start, when temperature is the only factor for the ECU, so the microswitch does seem the most likely candidate for misbehahour at running temperature. I will investigate further, and see if I can clean or replace the switch.

Thanks again,

Charles F

Reply to
Charles Fearnley