renault laguna wont start

N reg, just got it secondhand 2 wks ago.. been well looked after. Everything going Ok then leaving work tonight... Lights and dashboard on but engine doesnt turn over.Dead. First suspect - immobiliser. Both blips work and I do the opening/closing routine several times with no success. Maybe no fuel, the empty light came on this morning. Put some more petrol in .. Battery flat?..try bumping it.. Ring breakdown man..he does the battery charger routine but hes not really a mechanic and announces its the starter motor which has suddenly gone with no warning. Maybe, but he was in a hurry to tow me home and get his sheet signed. I still think its immobiliser..how can I bypass it? ie permanently, its a pain in the arse if this happens regularly. Or any theories from Laguna owners before I ring the auto electrician?

Reply to
kevin77

What model ?

Does it turn over or just click ?

It could be a bad earth. Check your starter, gearbox earth and battery cables aren't loose or corroded. Tap the starter solenoid with a hammer in case its jammed.

I've had a dead engine the day after a bloke did a clutch for me.....he didn't tighten the earth strap on the gearbox and it worked loose.

Reply to
Ebodscki