Renault Master 2.2DCI cutting out

Just a quick wee query regarding a van I've just bought. It's a 2001 Y reg Renault Master MM35 2.2DCI, and despite the 186k on the clock it drives absolutely spot on, and the engine is very sound (as is the gearbox, partly thanks to the fact that it was replaced at some point under warranty by Renault). At the moment I'm still driving my other van, but a mate of mine's "babysitting" this one, and has taken it to work (about 8 miles) a couple of times, and on both occasions it cut out at some point. It just lost all power, power steering lost its power assistance, radio went off or very quiet (I think), and the engine stopped. Pulling over to the side of the road, it would start up again straight away, first flick of the key.

I'm guessing this is some sort of immobilizer-related problem, but what exactly is causing this? It drove fine when I took it for a quick test drive, and managed a 50 or so mile drive back from where I bought it absolutely fine, so this is obviously some sort of intermittent problem - any ideas if this is a common fault, and if so, what could be done to cure it? Would it be worth taking to a Renault main dealer to get them to plug into a diagnostics system, or would this more than likely show up no fault unless at the actual time it presents itself?

Peter

-- "The truth is working in television is not very glamorous at all. I just go home on my own at night and sit alone and eat crisps."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I would be checking battery connections at the battery, engine comparment fuse box, earth connections to body work, earth connection from engine to body work, starter motor conections and alternator connections.

It sounds as though its loosing all electrical power for some reason.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.