Renault Scenic RX4 - Rear Diff?

Hi,

First post etc.. etc...

Yes, I was foolish enough to buy a brand new Scenic RX4 four years ago...

Driving out today and after a fast motorway run I got a low roaring noise from the back end (rear Diff?) and a noticably rougher ride... I suspect it's not a happy diff!

A couple of things - I'm wondering if at the last service they replaced the diff oil with engine oil (not the right stuff) - Could i prove it if they had? (some test of the fluid??)

Changing the diff oil isn't difficult - should I do this first and see if it makes things better? (or do you think it's to late!)

I have to point out it seems fine when tootling about... I suspect the speed run/heat is the issue... and the warranty ran out last April (I have *LOTS* of renault warranty experience... *sigh* )

Although it's not mentioned, should this oil be replaced by Renault at every 18,000 mile service?

Any experience/feedback gratefully received!

Dicky

Reply to
dicky

I would be looking at wheel bearings and prop shaft first. diff oil is not listed as a service change.

Reply to
mrcheerful

I agree, prop shaft could be a possibility - doesn't seem like wheel bearings though, feels like the whole backend and only an issue after motorway driving, not low speed runs...

Reply to
dicky

Hardly likely seeing as they have special pumping gear which makes using an engine oil filler on a diff alot more difficult than using a gearbox oil filler on a diff.

It's only a few quid, might as well.

No. Even on my 20 year old Capri, the diff has no drain plug as there's no need to change it.

Reply to
Conor