Renault update

Re my last post.

I have ordered a new set of 4 coil packs, but in the meanwhile I bought one locally to replace what I believe to be the main culprit.

Now I know why it is playing up, it can't be replaced as the torx screw holding it in is completely stripped, no doubt it needed replacement some time ago; but the old owner stripped the thread and never changed it as the screw can't be removed.

The torx head is female and the centre is completely rounded, no room for a dremel to create a slot, so how do I get the bugger out? Looks like a garage job and money I can ill afford.

Reply to
Nitro®

Nitro® gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

How big's the screw? If it's more than a fairly narrow thread, a LH drill bit is probably easiest.

Alternatively, drill the head off it, so you can remove the coil pack. Will that leave enough of a protruding stub to get a pair of mole grips on?

Reply to
Adrian

Well you can try a grabit screw extractor, or drill the top off with (ideally a letf hand spiral) drill bit & remove the remains with mole grips.

You can get them at any decent tool shop, rather than a motor factors.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

As you're replacing the coil is there room to use an...

ANGLE GRINDER??

;o)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Someone had to say it......!!!!

Reply to
Nitro®

Decided to bite the bullet and rang a few garages, all quoted between £30-50 to remove it but none had a slot until late next week. I could have splashed out on a decent drill (only have a 12V cordless) and a screw extractor set, with no guarantee on a result. So I rang around the local mobile mechanics and have a chap coming in the morning having quoted £35 for a ten minute job.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Reply to
Nitro®

Job done, mechanic used a small chisel to put an edge on the torx screw and gently tapped until their was movement. He then tapped in an allen key bit on a bar and presto !

He hooked it up to a diagnostic pad thingy and and did a few things and tested the engine etc, the printout advised that #4 was also not performing as it should.

I have some more coil packs on order so that should be sorted. Took the car for a spin and touch wood ran sweet as a nut. Now having seen rather than read how to do it, I feel confident that I will be able to DIY in the future should the need arise.

Call out cost £35 as quoted on the phone, total time less than

30 minutes, no hassle of hanging around a cold garage and listening to mechanics draw breath and sigh ' this is gonna cost ya mate....'
Reply to
Nitro®

On Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:14:09 -0000, Nitro=AE wrot= e:

You want to keep that mans phone number :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Thanks for the vote of confidence lol.

Reply to