renault wheel bearings

hi there

How easy is to change the front and rear wheel bearings from a 1995 renault laguna 5door hatchback

is it a garage job or can i do it myself ?

thanks

Reply to
jovan5

Do not know about the rear but the front bearings require a press to remove and replace them. Two hours a side and a straight forward job with the right tools, but then - what isn't?

Pete

Reply to
""manx.exile "

The message from "@ mail.com" contains these words:

Wot! Just for wheel bearings? Grief. If I had a press I could do my Montego ones in about a quarter of that.

Reply to
Guy King

Same with the rears, and you really do NEED a substantial hydraulic press.

IMO it's a garage job due to the force needed to push the new bearing in (it's a one piece unit containing both inner and outer).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Does anyone else think that modern designs are deliberately making it harder for the home mechanic so we will admit defeat and give the car to the garage? As the above message suggests? If like me you think "YES" it's bloody annoying eh? takes away our liberty etc etc.

Reply to
Stuart

There is nothing to stop you buying a half decent hydraulic press....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

a large size vice will do, hardly rocket science.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Sometimes. The guage has hit 9Tonnes pushing the bearings out the front of my A6. Although 10lb sledgehammers aren't bad if you're stuck.

Reply to
DuncanWood

In your dreams man....

Have you ever done Laguna wheel bearings, I very much doubt it judging by your remark above.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

First you need to get out the old one...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have changed 100's of wheel bearings on most types of vehicle including renault (spit) A good selection of old bearings and bits of tube, sockets etc can get any bearing out without difficulty. The vice I use is a record

8 inch type and has no difficulty in moving bearings especially after a little judicious use of heat. It is also big enough to break tyre beads etc. etc.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Bodging bastard.

Use a press, a vice is not a press, never has been and never will be.

One day you might just learn why, hopefully you won't have part of a vice stuck in your head....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I have a press too, but can't be bothered to get it out and set it up, the vice is always there and ready for action. A vice is a device to apply pressure to the two jaws, no real difference to a press and as long as you only use the standard tightening arm there is no significant danger.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

thanks for all the replies,

I didnt realise there was so much to it.

I will get it down a garage as it sounds a bit complex for me plus i dont have the correct tools for the job

thanks again

Reply to
jovan5

No it is not, it's is for HOLDING, nothing more and nothing less.

no real difference to a press and as long as you

That is quite simply wrong, no vice will excert the forces that a press can unless it is forced.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Curses, for the last 30 years I have used vices for all sorts of illegal operations.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Yes you have, as I said (and especially as you say you have a press) you are nothing but a bodger....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

The message from "mrcheerful ." contains these words:

We don't need to know about your nasty little vices!

Reply to
Guy King

Obviously you're not an engineer. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Well you're certainly not one if you think a vice is a press...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::