Replacement diesel engine for Renault Laguna

The engine on my Laguna DCI diesel estate has just blown in the most spectacular manner: a sudden loss of power, a strange whineing noise and then BAM! - a huge plume of smoke that must have blinded the drivers behind me and several hundreds yards later I come to a complete halt...

I had no previous warning that anything was wrong but I think it safe to assume the engine has gone to meet its maker - so to speak - and that I'm now facing a huge bill for a replacement.

Can anyone offer me any advice on where to get a decent reconditioned unit and have it fitted? I'm based in the Dorchester/Poole area.

The (rest of) the car is in great overall condition and I've generally been pleased with it, but this is my first diesel - so I'm feeling a bit out of my depth.

The engine is the 1870cc DCI (2002) model - are these expensive to replace (like most other Renault parts)?

Any help would be gratefully received...

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Bad news...

As you are aware, there are various incarnations of the 1.9 DCi, depending on year , the higher power variety's having a larger turbo, so you need to be specific as to which motor you have.

It would be worth contacting Renault, as if you have a complete service history they may contribute abit of cash to the replacement.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

It also may be a case that the turbo has simply failed and if you're lucky, the engine is actually OK.

Reply to
Conor

Could it not also be the case that something untoward caused some issue within the engine, or there's at least some unresolved fault elsewhere? I'd not fancy putting a new engine in the same car. Lagunas are awfully problematic, that's why they're dirt cheap to buy after a year of ownership, one of the worst cars in that sense that I've ever seen.

I'd contact Renault first, who are likely not to help too much, but may give you some assistance if you've got FSH, otherwise...

Reply to
David R

Does indeed sound like a turbo shaft failure. Hope the intake side has stayed put and not been sucked through the engine in bits and it could well be a cheap (relatively) fix.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

Have you been in touch with Charles Trent in Poole?

Steve

.
Reply to
shazzbat

My wife's car is the same age and type,and has had a similar problem. It was out of warranty, turbo blew, continued to run on it's own oil and blew the whole engine. garage is saying =A36800 for new engine. ie it is a right off. Is this common? What are the options?? Serviced from new and not due for service.

Likewise any advice would be appreciated.

Andy W

Reply to
watters

Try somebody other than the main dealer.

reconditioned-engines.co.uk.

Reply to
Duncan Wood