Replacing Ford Sierra Heater Matrix

I'm in the middle of replacing the heater matrix on my `93 Ford Sierra and I've removed the lower left of the dash and can see the heater unit.

What's the best and easiest way of getting the heater matrix out from here? I have the Haynes manual and that goes into detail of taking out the whole heater unit but not the matrix (well, only as part of a complete heater unit overhaul) which I don't particularly want to do because to be honest, I wouldn't say I know what I'm doing. I'm just working off the Haynes manual.

To remove the heater unit, the manual says to remove the 5 vent hoses (which I can see, but have not removed yet (couple of cable ties need clipping to slide them off a little easier)) and disconnect the two control cables. I can only see where one of the control cables is connecting though. The other is going over the top of heater unit and I can't see where it's connecting. Says then to remove the two securing bolts. I can't see these either. Where abouts would the securing bolts be? Could possibly be because I haven't disconnected the vent hoses but like I said, I'd like to know how to get at it without removing the whole heater unit because it's just creating more work that I could mess up.

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
thewickerbeast

It is a lot of work to change one 'by the book' however I have changed several in the past without full dismantle. take off the centre console and unbolt the bottom of the main dash, this lets the heater come down enough to get the pipes back through the bulkhead (after using a long extension bar and thirteen mm socket to undo the two bolts that go vertically to hold the heater in). With the clutch pressed down and the heater twisted it is possible but difficult to get the old matrix out, the new one goes in easier.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful