Replacing low profile tyres

I plan to replace the 185/55 R15 alloy wheels on the 416 in a few months. Where will I get original size rims from? (Dunno what size the original rims are at the moment) And who gives a good deal on avg quality tyres?

Thanks.

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur

If they use a full size spare, take a trip round some scrappies, if they're stored in the boot, you might get 4 mint wheels/tyres cheap ;) (from 4 cars obviously ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Why are you replacing them? If they are damaged why not just get them repaired. That has to be cheaper and easier.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

I live in a street where I have to put 2 wheels on the pavement. The tyre that I always lift the car onto the kerb has a slow leak or puncture. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic about LP tyres being liable to failure in these circumstances but I figure that buying 5 new original tyres will be more ride comfortable and cheaper in the long run. Plus selling the rims and tyres I've got will cover a good chunk of the costs of replacing.

Arthur

PS. The LP wheels that I've got have the rover crest on them. Does that make them more or less valuable?

Reply to
Arthur

I live in a street where I have to put 2 wheels on the pavement. The tyre that I always lift the car onto the kerb has a slow leak or puncture. Perhaps I'm being pessimistic about LP tyres being liable to failure in these circumstances but I figure that buying 5 new original tyres will be more ride comfortable and cheaper in the long run. Plus selling the rims and tyres I've got will cover a good chunk of the costs of replacing.

Arthur

PS. The LP wheels that I've got have the rover crest on them. Does that make them more or less valuable?

Reply to
Arthur

Arthur wrote: > I live in a street where I have to put 2 wheels on the pavement.

185/55 R15 are just normal alloy size for Rover. Hardly worth anything these days. unless you go down to 14" rims then you will end up with the same tyres anyway.

A good replacement tyre is 195/50 R15. They are a more LP tyre than ones you have on but you get them much cheaper as they are more popular.

I'd get the troublesome one repaired, and replace the others (in pairs) with 195/50 when they are ready.

Reply to
BTNEWS

less :)

That's the standard wheel size according to the workshop manual so there would be no big resale value as they can be found in scrap yards up and down the country.

The only other rim fitted to a 416 as standard is the steel wheel 185/60/14 which as you can see, has 1" smaller diameter rim but the same overall rolling profile. I cant see that being a big improvement, plus you have to fuss with the wheeltrims, either losing them with monotonous regularity or having to cut the tie wraps every time you change a tyre/wheel (and remember to resecure them).

Finally, its a common problem for alloys to oxidise (alloy version of corrosion) around the inner rim, where the tyre meets the metal and has to form a seal. If your tyres are less than a year old and they didnt grind it off on your last change then take it back and complain. If they are over a year, take them to your favourite tyre place, tell them you are losing air from the rim and ask how much it is for a new valve, rebalance and make sure they seal the rim properly. Shouldnt be more than a tenner a corner, hopefully less.

Ad

Reply to
Mad Ad

Thanks for all advice.