Resetting the ECU in my Audi?

I've noticed that whenever I have the battery out, the ECU in the engine acts up for a while; not controlling the idling rate correctly. Is there a way to reset the ECU - my motor is an Audi Cabriolet 2.6 V6. I seem to remember there was a way to do this without needing to visit the garage? Does anyone knows what that is?

Reply to
Alex Buell

By taking the battery out, your ECU is reset to its default values. There is then usually a manufacturer-specific process that involves a set amount of time idling, followed by driving in a variety of conditions.

TBH, I've found that after a short drive, all the settings are re-learnt very quickly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 13:27:46 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Chris Whelan:

That's the strange thing about all this; I took my motor out for a

30 mins drive but the idling still wasn't quite right it's as if it was remapped 1000rpm higher than usual, and some times letting off the accelerator pedal caused the engine to rev higher and then lower. It was all perfect the day before.

I'll try again tonight and see if it's back to normal yet.

Reply to
Alex Buell

YOu could try searching the VagCom forums.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I don't know if you V6 needs a throttle body aligment, but some VAG engines do, after the battery or throttle body are rmeoved.

Chris Bartram

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 15:03:42 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Duncan Wood:

Thanks, that was an enormous help - apparently it should clear itself in time - it's apparently quite common.

I now have another problem; the speedo doesn't work anymore! :-(

Reply to
Alex Buell

Ithink sods law of coincidence has got you there. (Coincidence possibly involving what you did :-( ) . Bentley in the US will sell you a manual with a proper wiring diagram or erwin will sell you ine quicker over here.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I was just about to post the exact same thing. If your car is drive by wire you will probably need vag-com (or a visit to a garage) to re-align the throttle body. I used to own a VW Golf V6 4motion and downloaded a copy of the vag-com software. I 100% recommend getting yourself a vag-com cable from the likes of ebay and downloading a copy of vag-com. I found it a very useful tool in the time I owned the golf.

Reply to
diy-newby

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008 10:43:59 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of diy-newby:

The car's now back to normal. Started working properly last night - about time it did!

Reply to
Alex Buell

ABC engine code?

Reply to
Graz

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:44:49 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Graz:

Yep, it's a ABC engine - 2.6 V6. Don't think it's a drive by wire engine though.

Reply to
Alex Buell

They're good engines. Mine has done over 200,000 miles.

Just out of curiosity, how high does your water temperature gauge go in normal driving conditions?

Reply to
Graz

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 13:05:18 GMT, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Graz:

You can say that again, mine's just 300 miles shy of 245,000 miles!

Always at 90 degrees in normal traffic conditions - although when a themostat failed it went up to 1000 degrees - easily fixed.

Reply to
Alex Buell

Mine's lower than that. And the idle RPM in Neutral is a bit high (around 1000). I suspect one of the temperature senders may be duff.

Reply to
Graz

On Sun, 06 Apr 2008 23:11:01 +0100, I waved a wand and this message magically appears in front of Duncan Wood:

Bugger the speedo, I've got my satnav set up to show the current speed!

Reply to
Alex Buell

I have also have a audi 80 b3 v6 but my headlights turn signals wipers honk dont work any idea how to fix it...already checked fuses and relays

Reply to
Keenan

In more sane times, that would have fixed it. Nowadays you're expected to book it in to a main dealer for a computer hook-up. Madness. Try removing one battery lead and shorting it out against the other for a moment. That sometimes does the trick.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom