retro fit injection

[...]

the BL box won't take 200bhp

;-) It didn't take the output from the original engine very well!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

You don't need the services of a pro tuner and rolling road with MegaSquirt. Although some will choose to use one.

They come with a basemap which will get any car started, once you have entered all the 'fixed variables'. Obviously, having a wideband O2 sensor makes things very much easier/quicker. But some have managed quite well without.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm guessing you don't live in a large town, and most of your driving is open road?

I have a BMW 2.8 litre petrol auto. On a long run at legal speeds it will do in the mid 30s. Local journeys round London, under half that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Course you could leave the SU's in place, dry, with the pistons fastened full up and merely use them as throttle bodies....

A proprietary EFI system could then be fitted, though it would all be on show on top of the manifold, and you'd need abit of trick mapping to get the mixture even across all cylinders, just as Rover found out when they EFI'd the mini...

Reply to
Tim

It's not BHP that kills a gearbox. It's peak torque. And in a naturally aspirated engine this tends to be based on engine size rather than state of tune. In other words, a modern engine with much more BHP than a 50 year old design may not have more peak torque if the same size.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It has been done if you wish to keep it looking original.

The Mini used single point throttle body injection, IIRC.

I have read about both the A and B series engines using MegaSquirt. It even has a software setting for siamese ports, IIRC.

One enterprising chap has fitted a BMW bike DOHC 24 valve head to an A series block - looks very impressive and not a bodge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

SIX valves per cylinder...?

Reply to
Adrian

What are the advantages if economy is not one of them?

AJH

Reply to
news

It fires on 8 from a cold start.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Mine always did, with carbs and points. AFAIK it still does, but in an off road Land Rover, rather than an SD1

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Oh dear. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Much more grunt at low to medium revs. The original Lucas/Bosch injection tended to run too weak there. Peak BHP is about the same.

It's much more consistent too. Always goes well. The Lucas system seemed to have off days.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The SPI did yes, the later MPI had two injectors, one in each runner, and some trick mapping to get the mixture even, as will the megasquirt, or Emerald ECU as you say.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim

I'd guess you'd have to use timed injection to open each injector just as each inlet valve opens? So not an even gap between opening? Which doesn't much matter with batch injection and one injector per port.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)