Rev Limiter

Excuse me because this is the hieght of laziness but I've lost my Haynes (if it would help).

BMW 318i of 1992 vintage. When I hit just over 3000 revs it is as if the rev limiter is partially kicking in. The engine vibrates and there is a loss of power. Drop the clutch and come off the accelerator so the revs can drop right down and it is back to normal for a while. Doesn't always happen but is getting more consistent

I am assuming that the ECU controls the rev limiter as it knows the revs and has control of injectors etc but a friend thinks there is some kind of centrifugal device in the distributor that does the rev limiting.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Periproct

Sounds like an ignition component fault. Not sure on the engine/ignition setup on them but id look at plugs/leads and their connections, then dizzy cap if it has one and its rotor arm. Dont just change them, check them electrically and visually - save wasting cash. A simple weak spark will show up with the engine under load as a bad misfire which would feel as you describe.

Some BMWs use a centrifugal limiter, never heard of one failing but its not impossilble, more modern ones limit by ECU - no idea where the switchover is.

Reply to
Coyoteboy

All modern fuel injected cars that I know off, the rev limiter is done by the ECU, and works by cutting fueling. You don't want unburnt fuel going through the cylinders on a catalyst equipped car.

Your mate is right in that some older cars used a rotor arm with a built in centrifugal switch type set-up, which limited revs by cutting the spark (hence the backfiring/exhaust popping when the rev-limiter cut in/out)

Certainly sounds like either a fuelling or ignition issue. First things I'd be checking are the plugs and fuel filter.

Reply to
M Cuthill

IIRC my fathers BWM uses a centrifugal dizzy item to cut spark and the ECU detects no spark and stops fuelling. I could be wrong as i havent studied it closely, but im fairly sure it has the spark cutter.

And check with the petrol cap off - blocked tank vent line could cause a large tank vacuum under load.

Reply to
Coyoteboy