Reverse parking sensors.

Hi all,

We inherited Dads 2004 Meriva this year and I'd have to say we are finding it ok. I know the guy the 3 of us delivered a 4 draw steel filing cabinet to the other day was quite impressed (especially as two of us were over 6'2" tall). ;-)

However, both the Mrs and I finding it tricky to judge just how short it is when reverse parking and even when we feel we must be no more than 1" off the object behind we often find it's more like 2'!

So, not wanting to partake of the 'contact parking' some seem so fond of, I was considering fitting some reverse parking sensors, just the ones with a sounder I can put in the back somewhere.

Could anyone recommend a particular brand or model please, something that would work well and reliably?

Cheers, T i m

p.s. It does have a towbar (I fitted it myself a while back) but because of the very low number plate, I used the removable hitch type.

Reply to
T i m

Not sure if serious...

Reply to
SteveH

It'll be serious after they've tried negotiating a roundabout in it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I bought a set on Ebay a while ago. Can't remember exactly but under £20. There are several colours to choose from. Even included the drill for cutting the four holes. Works perfectly well.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Ah, are you talking about the restricted vision from the front pillar?

If so I agree, it does get some getting used to.

If it's not that, I'm not sure what ... still not bad for a low mileage and free runabout?

Now, about these reverse parking sensors ...

The 'issue' with the Meriva is it's quite high, so unlike most saloons where you can not only see the boot (as on our Belmont) you can see the bonnet of a car you are backing onto. Similar was true of our Sierra Estate, the rear windows was still low enough to be able to see the front of what was behind you. With the Meriva you are often looking *over* most things and there seems to be some sort of prism effect when even when you think you are about to touch something behind, you are still some way away. Now, 'of course' you can keep going till you touch whatever it is, or stop short, or I could just keep practicing somewhere till I can get it spot on but that wouldn't help the Mrs who also drives it now and again and give her the confidence to park in spaces that are probably 'ok' but because of this visibility issue, she wouldn't attempt (but I would and do).

And as many cars seem to come fitted with them as std now days, someone obviously thinks they are a good idea (unless you don't live or park in a dense urban area of course).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yeah, I spotted such yesterday and they 'looked' ok.

Are you comparing this install with some factory fitted solutions when you say that please Andy? I ask as I didn't know if 'working' could come in many flavours and so you might never actually know if yours (ones) were working as they might / should etc?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

You could try and find one of those lenses that look like one face of a lighthouse installation.....no fitting, just a sucker!!

Reply to
Dafydd

'Fresnel lens'?

Yup, I've considered and checked those as well (online) and if they work as desired, would be a solution. They seem to be about half the price of the ultrasonic solution and as you say, *much* easier to fit.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't go as far as those mirrors you often see on the rear of the longer people carriers (and especially in / around busy cities).

I might give one a try first (also might be better than the sensors for reversing up to our multiple trailers etc).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

parking sensors only give a guide, they don't usually give any indication below about 6-9 inches. If you really need inch perfect reversing (handy for backing up to a trailer hitch) then get a camera.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

IIRC the rear window mirror is a requirement in Japan.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My dad has a 2 sensor retro fit on his Mazda 323. It goes off well short of the wall/door. Have to "calibrate" it.

You might be better off with a camera. Then you can see the towball and trailer when hitching it up.

£23 This one is wireless - for the video. Still needs a cable running right though the car for camera power. It's cheap and you may get what you pay for - small screen. Doesn't say "colour".
£36 Larger 4.3" LCD and colour.
£55 7" LCD, 2 cameras, and much wire as anyone could need. (shame it can't record as well)
Peter Hill

I bought a set off Ebay ages ago which has been fine. Do the same from a reputable supplier - ie one with lots of feedback. And they've come down in price a lot recently.

Don't bother with fancy ones which have LED indication of which sensor is seeing something - all you need is a decent beep. Make sure that is loud enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

They have a progressively faster beep, until it becomes continuous at about 25cms. No experience of OE ones but good enough for me.

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Or, given that a Meriva is short and kind of 'block' shaped with no sitcky-out extremities, you could just do what people have been doing for decades and learn how big the car is. It really isn't that hard.

When we had a Cinquecento, we could both squeeze it into spaces only a few inches longer than the car itself - and a Meriva isn't to dissimilar in shape.

Reply to
SteveH

On evidence of the Meriva I once had as a hire car in Portugal, it would fall over at 5mph.

Reply to
SteveH

Have you driven one? It's all too easy to say a good driver will know the length of the car, but this is varies by model.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ok, I'll bite (have you been smoking that wacky backing again Steve ... you know how that affects your ability to think outside the box). ;-(

I have been driving and parking vehicles in all sorts of impossible spaces (including with a trailer attached) since I was 17 (thanks).

Yeah, like I thought, you don't actually 'get' how a Cinquecento is 'different' to the Meriva in that respect.

See, it's not a matter of 'can't', it's a matter of making something easier, something I should have done with the question just for you it seems ...

Luckily, there are still plenty of 'normal' people on here. ;-)

Cheers and get well son.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

So there are no good or bad models then (which was what I was really asking (and whilst I'm sure there would be you may not have such experience yourself etc).

Well, for other than the trailer reversing thing (which could be a consideration in this of course) then I don't really need it inch perfect as such, knowing we were say 6" off a parked car, rather than

2' would be fine.

The other thing is that with the cars with high(er) rear windows you can also lose things like posts, planters and shopping trolleys.

A good few years back the Mrs missed an entire Jag when reversing our jeep style kitcar as it was obscured by the spare wheel. ;-(

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

So I understand.

And me then. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ah, interesting (and makes a lot of sense 'over there') thanks.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m