Ridding an engine of Mayonnaise

Hi, I'm doing a head gasket job on a K-series. Now, I've done this before on my own car, also a K-series, and the cross-contamination was such that oil leaked into the coolant, with the oil itself being as clean as a whistle. In this case I simply flushed out the coolant system until clean (although having said this the contamination was never that bad).

I have just lifted the dipstick on this other example, and judging by the huge build-up of sludge, I reckon the whole engine is FULL of oil/ water emulsion. What's the best way of cleaning all this out? My ideas so far are:

  1. Engine flush using proprietary engine-flush (Forte or similar)
  2. Taking off the sump and attempting to wipe out (?) the sludge, or use a degreaser like Gunk or something.
  3. Filling the engine with oil then draining, changing, repeat til oil is clean.

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Reply to
Wingedcat

the sludge will largely disappear after the engine has got up to full temperature for a while. Change the oil now when hot, then give it a good run, thirty miles or so on a motorway should do, you will probably find most sludge has gone. then regular changes as needed.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Sump off is dull but probably fastest, you'll still need to do 1 or 3 afterwards, but hopefully only once.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Sorry, radiator off. The oils not normally that bad to get clean, it gets hot enough to boil most of the emulsion off, I'd imagine engine flush would make life worse.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Jeyes fluid in the rad works wonders. Sounds daft, but it works!

Reply to
asahartz

=A0

=A0

Yes but the coolant is not contaminated. The mayo is in the oilways.

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

How much do you think is in there? Fresh oil at the very least. I would be cautious of running it alot if there is much water in it, as there have been issues of seized cams from running the bearings on these from watery oil...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

let the oil settle then drain. refill with fresh oil and a filter change.

Engine flush may cause the engine to state using oil.

Remainder of the water should evaporate off.

Reply to
Rob

Rob gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Only if build-ups of crap are all that's holding the oil in. In which case, you've got bigger problems than whether you flush or not.

Reply to
Adrian