road noise

Any tips for reducing road noise inside the cabin?

Reply to
MichaelS

Fit decent tyres. Low profiles are horrendous for it. In addition to that, you can add some soundproofing.

Reply to
Conor

How and where do you add soundproofing?

Reply to
MichaelS

Over your ears? That'll be the quickest and easiest after-market method I'd expect.

David Hearn

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Not really.

Reply to
MichaelS

Nice link, thanks.

Reply to
MichaelS

You take up the carpets and apply soundproofing matting such as dynamat. Also take off the dash and the trim for the doors and kick panels and add it there too.

Only downside is the weight of the car will go up ergo the MPG will drop.

Reply to
Conor

Is driving slower an option? I am serious before you ask!

On a not so serious note; turn the radio up until it drown out the road noise :-)

-- Chris

Reply to
Chris Dugan

It's noisy slow or fast, it really is bad. Pirelli tyres btw.

Reply to
MichaelS

Tried emailing them and the email doesnt work. The website doesnt give much info.

Reply to
MichaelS

Do you mean you have emailed them, and got no reply? Or do you mean that clicking the link didn't launch your email client? If the latter, try copying and pasting the email address in to whatever you use for email.

The website gives the address of the head office, the address of the factory, and the phone number. What in particular were you looking for?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I emailed the email address, got a message back a few hours later saying there is no such address or something, it was undeliverable.

Reply to
MichaelS

Ah, OK. Try the phone next perhaps?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

There's a yank with a big soundproofing review site. He comes at it from a car audio point of view but it's a good overview. I can't remember the url but I'm sure you'll find it on google.

I'd do the following for road noise:

Make sure all the doors and windows seal properly. Make sure the door membranes seal properly. Knock panels on the car and see which ones resonate a bit. Probably doors and rear quarters. Bang a few deadening pads in each. Reseal your doors. Do the same on the wheel arches inside the car, and possibly spray the insides with more stone chip spray. I'd leave the firewall alone - too much faff. Get the under bonnet blanket from a model higher up the range from the scrappy...

Reply to
Doki

Ah, good idea!

Reply to
MichaelS

Would you trust a company who sell magnetic fuel 'conditioners' ?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

:-)

Life's experience has taught me not to automatically trust any company, particularly within the motor trade!

I assess what they sell, or what service they offer, and decide whether I want to use them.

For example, most of what Halfords offer for sale is crap that I would never buy, but sometimes in an emergency they have an item in stock that can get you out of trouble. They also sometimes have good deals on things like own brand oil.

Equally, I sometimes buy stuff on eBay; usually used computer parts. I have the time and skills to test these items, and my use of them is non-critical. It may not be the best solution for everyone.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

"Doki" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So to just head in a related-but-different direction for a moment...

I've just swapped the bonnet on the 900 for one without rotten back corners. Great. But the one that went on's from an older car, and the insulation consisted solely of a strip of eggbox foam clipped on, which had turned into dust over the years. The original bonnet on mine had a substantial moulded insulation covering much of the inside. Which I forgot to remove. Hiho. It was manky and oil-soaked anyway.

Now, I really don't want the turbo to cook the paint on the bonnet - which happens with nothing in there. So what's the best stuff to use? I'm thinking of that sorta-1/2"-thick-stick-on-space-blanket. Would that be suitable?

Reply to
Adrian

I was going to be helpful and point you here:

I noticed the prices... These are cheaper, but I don't know if they'd stand up to the heat:

Willy Eckerslyke