Rover 1.6 K coolant probs

Since having a water pump replaced on my car (and a coolant system flush) I've driven about 50 miles and the coolant in the header tank now has a fair amount of the brown scum in it!

The coolant level looks to be down, but it doesn't seem to be losing oil, and there is no mayonaise effect in the oil filler or cap.

A leak is apparent on the lower left of the engine and a garage that looked at it the other day was quite keen to replace the head gasket.

The temperature has never wavered from the fraction below half way that it hits after about 10 mins driving, and I haven't experienced any power loss.

Now, could this be the inlet manifold gasket? I don't mind the garage changing this first as its cheaper, but they seem to be very keen to go the whole hog and change everything with a £350 price tag.

To recap I'm really only getting coolant contamination.

Reply to
Kav

The only likely way for brown grunge to get into the header tank and the water system is via the headgasket. The inlet gasket would leak water either into the cylinder or onto to the floor.

However, if it runs ok it may run for years without trouble, what is probably happening at present is that the high pressure oil is blowing, via the head gasket into the water jacket, probably the actual cylinder seal is still ok. Eventually the water will start to get into the oil though, usually after you turn off the engine, while the water system is still pressurised and the oil system is not. I know people that have run K series engines for years in this condition.

mrcheerful mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks, I've decided to get the whole damn lot replaced + head skim with a friend who has a garage as at least then I know all the work that has been done :)

What a fun car!

Reply to
Kav

This is exactly how my K series used to blow it's head gasket. Get it swapped before you suddenly fill the sump with boiling coolant an annoying distance from home!

Reply to
Chris Street

Ours failed this way the second time. Long slow process over about 2 weeks before one day it wouldn't start.

First time was more major and cut out - restarted ok, but was then dead after about 2mi.

Sell it, they're crap!

Reply to
Scott

Too late now, I'm stuck with it for the next 3 years at least!

You say the second time. What kind of work was done after the first time, and what was the cause of both of the failures?

Reply to
Kav

Fair enough. on the plus side it was a very comfy car to drive!

We had it skimmed & pressure tested with new bolts put in too on the first time.

Ours was a 1.4 - don't know what caused it maybe the misses right foot on the M1 had something to do with it! Plus the 1.4 might be a bit too small for the size of car.

We had the same repair done both times costing c.400 (the price was the roughly the same in Derby and in London)

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Both my K series cars spent extended periods being thrashed! The 414 used to get hammered at >110 on the clock a lot, the 75 saw 150...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Ummm. Mine did a third of a million miles - apart from the head gasket there was never a problem with it. I appreciate a head gasket isn't a minor problem though!

Reply to
Chris Street

You insured against fire?

Warwick