rover 200 brake lights

Hi everyone,

I have a slight problem if anyone could help, I have a rover 200 an when I turn on the engine the brake lights come on and remain on unti the engine is switched off, pressing the brake peddle makes n difference. Everything else works (at the moment). So if there are any budding helpers out there who could give me som advice before I spend out on a garage job, for something that may jus be really simple, I would be really gratefull.

Thanks guys

Ruth3

-- Ruth33

Reply to
Ruth33

It sounds very much as though the brake light switch has got stuck on and needs to be replaced. Unfortunately, I don't know for certain where it is positioned but I would look near the pedal and see if it was there. It probably is (you'll have to bend down and look under where the pedal is mounted). Disconnected the wire from the switch and if the light goes out then it's pretty certain to be the switch.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

The brake light switch is the fault (in all probability) It may (probably) only need adjustment, or it may need replacement.

The switch is directly operated by the pedal being pushed away from it , so move the seat back and get your head near the pedals and look up, remove any trim that may be in the way, the switch is a little black thing with two wires going to it immediately above the brake pedal. Usually the switch is adjustable by means of the thread on the outside of it, mostly a quarter turn anticlockwise unlocks the switch which can then be moved down toward the pedal to turn the brake lights off. a quarter turn clockwise will relock the switch, check adjustment in use, ie gentle braking puts the brake lights on.

The switch can become maladjusted by accidentally pulling the brake pedal up, especially by those old Krooklock devices that lock the pedal to the steering wheel.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

It usually has a feed to the ecu to cut fuelling when braking, has she been surging when braking?

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard