Rover 200.......Slimy film in coolant....

Hi all,

The car is a 1997 Rover 214Si, 1396cc Kseries 16v.

Lately I have noticed a thin film of oily slime on the inside of the coolant reservoir.

The car is using no coolant or oil, there is no mayonnaise on the filler cap.

The car runs very well and does not overheat. The engine receives regular oil changes and is kept well serviced.

I am worried that it could be the onset of a HG failure, there is a very slight oil weep at the cambelt end, this doesnt seem to be camhaft seals as all was dry there when the belt was changed.

Any pointers..? Am I worrying for nothing??

Thanks in advance,

Rich.

Reply to
Sir Richard Richard

Doesn't sound good I'm affraid. Infact, sounds like identical symptoms to mine when my Rover suffered HGF. £200-£300 is about the going price for new head gasket and skim.

HTH

Reply to
Michael Cotton

Start of HGF. Take it to local garage - for £10 they should 'wave' their exhaust gas analyser over you coolant header tank. The hydrocarbons are detected then you have HGF and should get the job done sooner rather than later.

Reply to
Microstar

This sounds like high pressure oil being pumped into the cooling system. The normal cause is head gasket failure, although the actual cylinder seal may be okay still. I have several of these cars in for servicing that exhibit this symptom, I tell the customer that if the symptoms get worse, ie the water level goes down or water gets in the oil or the oil level drops quickly then they should have the head gasket job. In other words see if it develops. Some of these run around for years with your symptoms!

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Mines being done tomorrow for the same thing - Rover 214 sli K series engine

16 v. Done 100k and oil in coolant - get it done asap - it won't forgive you if you don't. btw head gasket is £30 to buy from motor factors so be careful of rip off merchants.

Gaynor

Reply to
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott

Just for your info depending on who you are having do the HG change, but insist they use the latest one from Rover (comes with stainless dowels to replace the plastic ones)- there have been about 6 incarnations. And have the inlet manifold gasket changed too.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Whilst perhaps this is tempting fate, why is it that this HG problem seems to mainly affect 214's, or are there just a lot more of them, or perhaps it's just my imagination ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Pandy

There are certainly a couple of posts a week with "My 214 has oil in the water/losing coolant/warped head".

I made a comment last month about the frequency of the postings!

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

This is good advice heed it .

Reply to
AWM

Mines all done now - seemed to go ok - there wasn't too much swearing from where I was standing! btw - do Freelanders have the same problem? - I noticed that they use the same headgasket.

Gaynor

Reply to
Tim and/or Gaynor Bott