Rover 214 1992 - charging problem

Hi,

1992 Rover 214 SLI - suddenly (within a few hours) developed a problem with the ignition light staying on. When starting the engine the light stays on bright but revving the engine makes it dim slightly. However it stays lit whatever.

I have examined the alternator and it seems visually undamaged, the commutator tracks look clean and I have fitted a new voltage regulartor/brush assembly from Lucas. This had no effect whatsoever.

The battery voltage was a steady 12 volts dipping to 11 under load with the engine idling. No difference in voltage with the engine running or not. Repeated running of the engine to try to find the problem has gradually flattened the battery, now it just clicks when you try to start it so I have put it on an overnight charge.

Looks to me like the altenator is doing something but not enough, and I am beginning to suspect it is shot, but before I splash out could it be anything else ? For example in addition to the multiplug there is a single wire on the end of the alternator which goes through an electrical component of some sort to earth - some kind of suppressor maybe ? Also is there any chance it could be a fault elsewhere in the wiring ? I would hate to buy an alternator and still have the problem.

Thanks

Marvin

Reply to
MarvinTheAndroid

Because you changed everything except the rectifier.

Its actually doing nothing at all.

TRhe only other thing it could be other than the rectifier is that there is a thin wire which goes to the alternator and carries +12V on it when you turn the ignition on. If this wire is broken, the alternator cannot operate.

Reply to
Conor

Brilliant suggestion but no dice - I have just checked and 12V is present on thin wire of multiplug when ignition on.

Marvin.

Reply to
MarvinTheAndroid

PS What / where is the rectifier, and can I test its function ? Can it be replaced separately ?

Thanks.

Reply to
MarvinTheAndroid

Diodes that covert the output AC voltage to DC. I think, and I'm sure I'll be corrected if wrong, if failed will cause the output of the alternator to half, if not die completely.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Surely this is part of the regulator pack?

Reply to
MarvinTheAndroid

They used to be seperate.

Reply to
Conor

Recitfiers will either be completely separate as on an old MG (64 Magnette for example), bolted on the back of the alternator, or inside the alternator housing. Some you can replace others not. I ask the local motor factor which is which. Occasionally he also offers re-cons on a part ex basis whihc helps with the budget.

Reply to
64Magnette

Replacement alternator fitted, all OK now. Thanks guys.

Reply to
MarvinTheAndroid