rover 214 8v nightmare

my nan bought me a rover 214 8v 1997 last december for £2000 from a local garage. it had mot, tax etc. was in mint condition only 46,000 miles. my mechanic checked it over said was lovely car. my nan paid cash but never got any warrenty. anyway a year down the line the car is not used and stands in the drive way. i have replaced the HT leads, the water pump, the timing belt,

2 sets of front brake pads. and now i have water bubbling out of the coolant holder, it is murky and rusty looking. it literally empties itself by bubbling over although the car does not seem to overheat. it has now not been used for 3 months. i still owe my family 1500 pound for the car and get sick seein it on my driveway.. any of u lot know what the problem may be, and how to sort it so i can get my baby back...
Reply to
amymorpeth

the head gasket is gone, spend another 300 on it to fix it. alternately insure it and set fire to it after declaring it stolen

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The message from "amymorpeth" contains these words:

Head gasket's gone.

Reply to
Guy King

If it's the K series (which is probably an even worse design than the old O series) three major castings, the cylinder head, cylinder block and crankcase are held together by a few long bolts. Cheap and easy to manufacture. Prone to failed head gaskets, especially when the coolant isn't topped up regularly and replaced as per the book. Hardly believed it when the design was intoduced and I read that Rover couldn't obtain suitable bolts in UK so went to Italy for them. I'd find a small garage who can do the job at the best price and then get rid quick. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

davek ( snipped-for-privacy@brentmere53.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It is.

The K-series is a little *cracker* of an engine - IIRC, the head gasket woes are largely due to cheapened manufacturing introduced while Rover was owned by BMW - and can be sorted by an upgraded gasket locating kit.

Reply to
Adrian

Hmmm, where have I heard a story like that before? Oh yes, the Triumph Stag engine...

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Chris Bolus ( snipped-for-privacy@RILEYELFb0lus.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Wankel, too?

Reply to
Adrian

Imp?

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ian Dalziel ( snipped-for-privacy@lineone.net) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The criteria included "can be sorted"...

Reply to
Adrian

Precisely. The few Stags that have not been converted to a Rover V8 are, by now, well-sorted and sweet-running. If Leyland had done that in the first place, who knows?

Reply to
Chris Bolus

So why did they make it out of expensive aluminium rather than cheap cast iron?

Err, it never needs 'topping up'. Unless there's a leak which should be fixed immediately. Not quite the same as a cast iron donk where you

*might* get away with it.

Parts will be sourced from the best suppliers. What's your problem with that?

So you don't think it's possible to fix a blown head gasket properly?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Umm... much much lighter which is good from a small car economy/handling point of view?

Much easier to machine? Is cast iron really that much cheaper when you add the machining costs into it?

I'm no expert, just curious.

Reply to
PC Paul

Cast Irons even easier to machine & alot easier to avoid porosity in.

Reply to
Duncanwood

But the old Mini managed with cast iron right up to the end.

I'd not say there's much difference in machining costs.

The K-Series isn't a particularly cheap engine to make. But it is pretty good and reliable if looked after - although larger ones do seem more prone to head gasket failure.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ally is easier and faster to machine than cast iron. Ally is more expensive, but with lower machining times, plus the scrap value of the swarf, (Cast iron swarf has little value) I'd say there was little difference in production costs. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

hey i am a woman lol..s obasically the rover is knackered and unless i find a rich man to help me fix it it might aswell go to the scrappy hahaha

Reply to
amymorpeth via CarKB.com

If you find a rich man you won't need to fix it - get him to buy you something decent instead!

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

On a K Series, some people would say so.

There's lots you hear of that require almost annual replacements.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

I did say 'properly'. Which includes checking block and head mating surfaces.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Anything useful either you or Pete can tell us about sunday morning. It's still saturday where I live.:-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G