Rover 214 a bit "lumpy" (continued)

> Rover 214 "K" Series 16 valve. A bit juddery and underpowered until

>> about 2500 to 3000rpm is dialled in then it runs just fine. Also when >> coming to a stop the idle takes a rather long time to drop to the >> normal idle speed. Can be up to a minute or more. Any ideas or thoughts >> appreciated. Abuse will be ignored - unless it's funny.

I thought I would post further details and see if anyone can come with more suggestions.

On starting up it is very "lumpy" - for want of a better word - and smells very strongly of petrol. Until the gauge reaches normal running temperature there is next to no power under approx 2500rpm. It has to be revved quite hard.

As it it warms up, when slowing down the engine does return to a normal tickover speed slightly quicker but nothing like as quickly as it should. When warm it drives reasonably well but still has a little "lumpiness" when driving at 30mph in fourth.

I have changed the rotor arm and plugs and give the engine flush and oil change as a sticky tappet had been suggested. No change really. I have checked all the vacuum pipes I can find and did find one with a lsight split so that was changed too.

I am starting to suspect a sensor but don't which one to go for!

Reply to
gazzafield

I meant to add that it also appears to have a thirst for fuel too. I haven't filled again to work it out but it looks like it could be in the

25 - 28 mpg range. 90% of my driving is DC or motorway at 70 - 80 mph.
Reply to
gazzafield

This is an earlier car yes?

I would put money on either you have an internal ECU fault with the MAP sensor sensing element OR you have a blocked or split sense hose from MAP sensor to inlet manifold.

Be aware the plastic hose barb of the MAP sensor is very britle and can snap off if you are not careful. Use a heat gun or similar to soften the rubber before trying to remove it and check the inlet manifold barb for blocking with carbon when the pipe is off. They often fill with goo-ey oil deposits.

If this is ok, have the ECU checked by an ATP dealer.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Excuse my ignorance, but where does the MAP sensor live? I have the vacuum pipe from the air filter frying pan to the ECU. Another pipe from the frying pan to manifold. Is this it? It was red if that helps and I replaced it as it was slightly split. The car is a 1992 214.

Reply to
gazzafield

No thats the inlet air thermostat, it operates a vacuum motor on the inlet duct, the MAP sensor is inside the MEMS ecu it is connected by a tube to the inlet manifold check this for blockages or air leaks but dont blow down it whist it is connected to the MEMS ecu.

Reply to
powerstation

Do a compression test. These are notorious for head gaskets. The symptoms you describe could be a head gasket blown between two cylinders. This would not neccessarily mix oil with water or vice versa

Reply to
a.n.other

Right, I have a small pipe from the manifold to under the air filter housing. I have the pipe from the ECU to under the same point of the air filter housing.

I have a thin yellow pipe from the air intake hose where it takes warm air from the exhaust manifold to under the air filter housing. The final one is the red one I was talking about from the inlet manifold to another point of the air filter housing.

So which one is the MAP sensor pipe? This is a single point injection model.

Reply to
gazzafield

snip

its "the pipe from the ECU to under the same point of the air filter housing" plus "small pipe from the manifold to under the air filter housing."

Reply to
powerstation