Rover 214 K16 engine Replacing Water Pump

I've never changed the water pump on these models, so I'd be grateful for some help:

1) Can it be done without taking the timing belt off, or *must* the belt be removed. 2) If the belt has to be removed, do the 2 camshafts have to be locked to prevent them turning once the belt tension has gone. 3) The lower left bolt is proving to be a real big ans difficult to get at. Any tips for making this easier?

Thanks a lot

Reply to
BG

definitely belt off, the special holder is needed, unless the belt is very recent change it too, only get a genuine pump, the pattern ones are s**te.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Aaaaagh - pet hate...

PATENT

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Also sprach "Tim S Kemp" :-

Patent what? Pattern is a perfectly acceptable word for an aftermarket copy.

Reply to
Guy King

In news: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk, Guy King decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Indeed. I agree entirely.

Patents are made to be broken :-)

Reply to
Pete M

Pattern : a form or model proposed for imitation .

Patent : I can't find any definition of patent that could be used for a non-genuine part.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As in patent leather? But I agree that pattern seems to be the common usage.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

No. Patent leather: a leather with a hard smooth glossy surface. (ie a patented finish process)

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

--------------- Thanks alot for the info.

Reply to
BG

------------

Just another question regarding fitting a new water pump, but why does the timing belt have to be removed ?

I've had the front (upper) timing cover off, and it would seem to me as though if I were to lock the twin camshaft sprockets together, then released the cam belt tensioner, I could undo the water pump bolts and pull it out. The new pump could then be fitted, followed by retensionning the timing belt and finally refitting the front (upper) timing cover.

If the job could be done without fully removing the cam belt, it would be a lot simpler and quicker, so what am I not seeing or anticipating that would cause me to go wrong by not fully removing the cam belt?

PS:

How many fixing bolts does the water pump have?

Its very difficult to see and so I could only spot 3, but the Haynes manual says 5 or 6

Thanks

Reply to
BG

There is no reason not to put the belt to one side and change the pump, but the extra work is merely lift the belt fully away, averything else has to come out anyway. Trickiest bit for a first timer on this job is the hidden bolt at the back of the pump (or was it the cover) and the crankshaft positioning for timing. I recommend the special tool, the cam shafts will move on their own without it. the tool is only a fiver or so.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful