Rover 214 sei Head Gasket?

Ok Excuse the maybe long message. I bought a Rover 214 SEI (1995) about 18 months ago. From the start I have had collant problems. After trips to the garage, they replaced the Manifold Inlet Gasket (?) , then after a matter of time the Head Gasket went (this was less than 12 months ago). The head was skimmed , Bolts replaced etc. However, my car over heated on Christmas Eve. The temperature went to the red, so I stopped and filled with water (just in case it was leaking). After a couple of miles it went red again, so I immediately stopped and this followed water bellowing out from somewhere. Upon calling of the AA, adn the car refusing to over heat again, he thought (due to residue on a pipe) that the clip wasnt tight enough, and I maybe had a slow leak. The clip was replaced and off I went. The next day the car overheated again, after driving 3-4 miles. I was near home at the time, so I parked it at home and waited till the garage was open. It was only 300 yards away so safe to drive. The guy started it and felt the various pipes as the engine warmed. He was pretty sure one of the pipes wasnt warming, therefore assumed it was the Thermostat and I might be lucky the head gasket hadn't gone (again). When I went to pick the car up the Thermostat was replaced , but I was informed the head gasket had gone. Rather miffed, I drove it back home determind to scrap the thing. He quoted me £240 + VAT which was significantly cheaper than the garage that done it last time. However he said it might be possible that the enginner might not be able to skim the head again. After my anger has subsided I am thinking that I dont really want to scrap the car and lose all I have spent. I paid £1000 for the car follwed by about that on maintenance. I have had Head Gasket replaced, Manifold Gakset replaces, New clutch, Full new exhaust and Cat, new brake caliper and other stuff I am sure I cannot remember!!

So what do I do? Somebody said I could get a new cylinder head, is this true? I am not a mechanic, and know 0 about cars! Could I do it myself? Should I trust a garage to do it? Any help arreciated, but It would be nice to sell it as a working car! Thanks!

Reply to
Norm

These engines can be a pain and Rovers have coughed up quite a lot of money to put the problem right for people. A friend of mine recently got given a new engine in her P reg car when the head gasket went a couple of months ago. You might try Rover and see what they would do for you. Unfortunately, without their help it's likely to be expensive with no certain long-term cure. If you're not a mechanic I would suggest you do it yourself. This must be the engine of all engines where you've got to get it right.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Snippety snip snip

If you've never done any reasonable amount of work on an engine then it's probably best not to attempt the head gasket yourself. since these engines are a little bit of a sod compared to a Ford for example (the K series engine on your car has wet liners, etc.).

Having said that, it is very possible to overheat an engine quickly because of airlocks in the cooling system - often caused by filling too quickly. Whether or not this would have destroyed the head gasket is debatable but being an all-alloy engine they do warp and distort the head when they overheat, hence needing to be skimmed.

The usual tests for a blown head gasket are:

  • constant overheating with no other causes
  • oily film in the coolant (dip your finger in when it's cold and check)
  • over pressurising the coolant, or bubbles being forced up through the expansion tank
  • white smoke with the engine running
  • coolant needs regular topping up but no signs of leaks anywhere

If you don't get the above symptoms then it may just be airlocked in which case you should drain the system and refill slowly (just trickle it in, pausing often) whilst squeezing the hoses gently to dislodge air. On the

1.4 K series there may be a bleed bolt in the coolant pipe below the distributor - remove this while filling.

Hopefully the above might save you some money!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Buy a recon engine or get another car.