Rover 214 (self cooling?!)

Over the last year or so, I've replaced two radiators on two seperate Rover

214's, and when I've refilled the cooling system, and made sure there's no air locks (heater working etc), the cooling fan NEVER cuts in, no matter how long you have it running!!

It was exactly the same on both cars. Heater works, all pipes hot, cooling fan circuit working OK, but it never cuts in, and the car never over heated. It's like the flow of the radiator is enough to cool these cars down. I'm guessing it might be different on a boiling hot day, but I had both cars ticking over, on the forecourt for well over an hour, and both ran at exactly half way on the temp gauge, and you could easly remove the expantion bottle top, with very small build up of pressure.

I just wonder if anyone has come across this? PS. both thermostats were also replaced with the rad.

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Long

This is may be because you have left the heater fan on.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Try living in London:-) I agree though, on a cold day the rad seems to be enough to cool the engine at tickover indefinately without much air motion.

Reply to
Bob Davis

"> This is may be because you have left the heater fan on.

Nope! The heater was only on for a few minutes, to check the water was circulating. You could rev the engine, let it tick over, but ether way, it stayed at the same temp! I had to let both customers take the cars away, without the cooling fan cutting in - Something I don't normally like doing!

Matthew

Reply to
Matthew Long

I have an adjustable pusher which I set on the accelerator pedal to give a fast tickover, that does the trick. Alternately just wedge a feeler gauge in the throttle stop.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I'll third that point. I recall using a 214 for a long journey in winter a few years back on the m6. Traffic and freezing fog slowed us down to around

30mph - and the bloody car started getting cooler! I watched in amazement as the temp dropped noticably and complaints from the wife about cold feet increased! ;-)) Thermostat okay, low mileage engine, etc etc etc

I guessed the radiator was overspecced for the car, no bad thing most of the time - in this instance the freezing air around a slow moving rad was more than equal to the heat losses (non combustion) from the engine block.

Wish my V8 kit car was like that :-(

-- Ken Davidson DocDelete

Reply to
DocDelete

The thermostat can't have been okay if the engine was running cool. The size of the radiator won't matter if the thermostat is working.

Reply to
Dan Buchan

Some cars do seem to cool down if left to tick over on a cold day, even with the thermostat closed! The works transits I used to drive certainly did!

Stuart Sharp

Reply to
Stu