Rover 214 Windscreen replacement

I have a crack in my Rover 214 windscreen and mot is due, Bugger. It is a fail item about 6-8 inches long in the wiper sweep area on the passenger side.

I can get a cheap replacement windscreen from a local scrap yard and I notice the haynes manual says that this is not a bonded screen but goes no further on how to replace it.

Any idea how to replace one of these screens?

Reply to
david.cawkwell

The message from snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net contains these words:

You sure? I'm amazed.

Anyway - it's easy enough but fiddly and if you've got a mate to help so much the better. The screen will have to fit into the groove all round the rubber. You can get the first bit in OK but the later stages will be tricky, and since you don't want to use a screwdriver to pry the rubber past the edge of the screen the way that works for most people is to put a thin cord (string isn't always strong enough) into the groove. Then, once you've got as much of the screen engaged as you can you push the screen into the rubber while at the same time pulling the string out at right-angles to ease the lip past the edge of the glass. Lubricant helps - I used baby oil last time.

Expect a /lot/ of swearing and a good deal of nervous sweating.

Reply to
Guy King

how to replace it.

Take it your insurance doesn't cover it. Mine doesn't charge, others are about £40. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

& if you ring round one of the local independent vans will normally fit one you've got for £20.
Reply to
Duncanwood