Rover 218SD heater fan speeds failing?

Hi All,

My 100 quid Rover came with the heater fan speed one missing (you can't have it all can you ) but all the others worked ok. Today I noticed that speed II is now dead but the rest are still ok?

So, before I start rummaging around under the dash etc is this a 'common problem' and if so what's it likely to be please?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Resistor pack

Reply to
powerstation

Ok, and where would that be located would you know please?

I assume they might be reasonably high powered jobbies so under the bonnet maybe?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On my old Renault 21 it was in the heater fan housing-above the passenger footwell, to the rear of and below the glove box. Three electric coils on a plastic baseplate. If one has burned through you can pull the coils out so they clip together. Lasts a week or so. Quite unnerving when it fails and the car suddenly fills with white smoke, accompanied by that unique frying electrics smell. DaveK.

Reply to
davek

Ok . I'm not quite sure how similar a Renaut and Rover are re heater speed controll (I suppose they *could* even use the same components?) but it's summat to look for ;-)

Quite unnerving when it fails and

Don'tcha just love that smell .. ;-(

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes common problem. On my Mk3 the resistor pack is located behind the glovebox in a sort of plug-in cartridge. Not sure if the mk2 (which I'm guessing you have as you quote the 218SD) is the same but a good place to start. If not it will almost undoubtedly be under the bonnet somewhere...

Reply to
Andrew Ratcliffe

Ah, good (in a way) .. easy solution?

Erm .. 93 ?

Is it likely to be just a bad connection or are we looking at o/c resistor here? Could I make up a new 'resistor pack' (RS WW resistors suitably mounted) or just get the same from a breakers to last another 12 years?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Hi All,

Thanks to all who pointed me towards the 'resistor pack' .

I found it behind the glove compartment screwed into one of the air ducts!

Anyway, it consistes of 3 small open wound coils of resistor wire and two are broken (corresponding to speeds 1 and 2). Speed 3 is quite chunky and 4 is 'full' no resistor so they are ok there.

Just phoned my local (ex) Rover dealer and they have them in stock at £31 (-10% + vat) ???

Looking at the Haynes book-of-lies it shows the pack but not the values (and for speed 1 the two finest resistors are in series).

I might just pop up the road later and get a new one .. ok it is 1/3 of what I paid for the car but it's quick, simple and one needs a clear screen this time of year

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

The message from T i m contains these words:

Years ago I made a little chopper-drive to replace one on a Maestro 'cos the slow speeds didn't work. Much better than resistors.

Reply to
Guy King

Oh indeed .. a RC model flight one would have been cheaper but I couldn't of bought / fitted it in the dark this afternoon like I did the straight replacement? ;-(

The 'replacemect' (was also fitted to the latest 200's apparently) has some form of ceramic gunge over the spring, I assume to support them?

It will probably outlive the car and I now have a spare to play with ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Try

they have done an article on how to DIY fix the heaters.

Reply to
Chris

Try this link

easy DIY fix, just need 3 Resistors and a bit of patience with some soldering. Costs a lot less than £31

:-)

Reply to
Chris

Thanks for that Chris,

Unfortunatly I bought and fitted (in stovk) a replacement before I got your reply .... but ... I now have a 'spare' unit to play with and will be ordeing from Maplis soon so ... ;-)

Thanks again ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m