Rover 25 front wheel noise

I'd appreciate some pointers to locate a problem.

Rover 25, W Reg (~yr 2000), 3dr hatchback, 97k miles

Over the course of the last two weeks, a squeeking/squealing has developed initially from the front driver side wheel but now also the front near-side wheel. There is no noise for the first fifteen to twenty minutes of driving. The noise is exacerbated or abates depending on the position of the steering wheel and cornering. After a good 30 minutes driving, the noise has become near continuous, particularly when driving above 50mph for that time. The noise goes away under hard braking. The noise abates or changes volume or pitch when feathering the brake pedal.

The first time these symptoms started, I was driving at speed on a long journey and stopped the car. There was a terrible smell of burning from the Driver side front wheel. The AA couldnt find a problem.

Could anyone suggest possible causes or help narrow these down before I actually start work. I have little experience but have a Haynes Manual as a guide once I know what the problem is.

Many thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Spencer

the calipers need to be stripped and rebuilt

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Many thanks, I'll try that.

Reply to
Mark Spencer

I've stripped, cleaned and rebuilt the calipers and bled the front calipers after assembly, following the Haynes manual. There's noticeably more travel now on the brake pedal when braking, though braking is fine. Have I done something wrong, or do I need to adjust the brakes somehow?

Many thanks Mark

Reply to
Mark Spencer

Assuming you re-used the old pads, did they go back in the original positions?

If not, they may have to bed in; it might take a couple of days.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

& rebleed the lot & readjust the handbrake. New rubber seals & dust boots are springier than old ones & quite often give you a little bit more travel than the old tired ones did.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

THanks Chris, yes they went in same positions.

Reply to
Mark Spencer

Reply to
Mark Spencer

Actualyy I'd readjust the handbrake, check brakes, rebleed front, check brakes & then bleed the rears if it still needed it, but as I said you'll probably have a little more travel with new caliper seals anyway.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The calipers had a problem of not retracting before you took them to bits (hence why the pads kept on touching, getting very hot and squeaking), after the rebuild they will retract as they should, therefore you will have more pedal travel than when they were faulty. Assuming that the pedal is not 'spongy' in its feel and the travel is not excessive then there is no need to worry.

Reply to
Mrcheerful