Rover 414i cuts out - the end...

Well, I fixed the car fine, it was running like a dream!

Tonight, it starts to misfire and run really rough, then in standing traffic (wigan town center) it stopped dead. nothing. nada. Not even a dash warning light.

We tried to start it, but it wasn't having any of it.

We duly pushed it up on the kerb to let the traffic go, and I got out the mobile to ring the AA.

Funny smell says the wife, a bit like someone's burning tyres.... Just traffic fumes I said... No, It really smells like burning plastic she says... Must be a bonfire I said... No, _look_ she shouted in my ear...

I looked up and noticed a few pretty wisps of white smoke coming from under the bonnet near the battery...

We climbed out and decided to stand on the pavement to make the call. During the call to the "very nice man", all hell breaks loose.

Bonnet pops open, six foot flames and clouds of thick black smoke everywhere. Traffic comes to a complete standstill, people rushing out of houses and dogs going doolally all around us.

I cancelled my call to the AA, and dialled 999...

They duly arrive just as the gutters of the house it was parked by started to sag under the heat.

20 minutes later, my Rover problem is finally solved in a steaming heap of black sludge and water.

I still smell like a bonfire after two showers...

Reply to
bigjon

Not unless you have a battery rated to thousands of volts or your terminal was too high and almost touching the bonnet. (3Kv needed per mm IIRC).

I think even if it had just burnt the loom it would be a write-off - the cost of labour to replace it would outweigh the value of the vehicle im afraid. Glad you're safe though!

Reply to
Coyoteboy