Rover 416 blown head gasket is it worth a repair?

Dear All,

head gasket has gone on my Rover 416 1998. Thick white creamy goo where there should be oil.

Suspect that the engine overheated last year as the garage replaced the a thermostat of some kind as the cooling fan stopped operating.

Car had done 95K but was becoming increasing high maintainence (anti lock brakes, new radiator etc since last year). It's now also got an exhuast rattle and maybe a water pump rattle.

Garage is quoting =A3800 for the head gasket. Is it worth getting it repaired or has it just its day?

Assuming the head gasket is fixed will the car give me a couple more years running ~ 30k miles?

Advice needed,

regards

Davy

Reply to
davy

'They all do that, Sir'

£800 is taking the total piss to do a head gasket, not least on something as relatively simple as that. I've done one myself before: cost less than a £100 in terms of gasket set, stretch bolts, new oil / filter etc.

A water pump isn't going to cost *that* much either, if you change it at the same time as the rest of it.

Yes... the main thing is, to try and determine how long it's been running with a shagged gasket - if you suspect it's done loads of miles with watered down oil in it, it's probably not done the bottom end bearings etc., much good.

Sure it's the water pump rattling?

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Jack, thanks for your help

I supect its been running "busted" for some time but I had checked the oil a couple of months ago and there was no goo then but I know the engine has overheated last year

Water pump rattle. No i'm not sure, garage was no bloody use

Rattle occurs when starting, (sounds like a belt banging on a case). rattle gets louder (almost deafening) if the engine idles but disppears once some revs have been added.

=A3800 yep very high, rang my local garage and they said =A3400. It was booked to go in today for a water leak check but never made it

Anything else I should check ( or get the garage to check) so at least its sounds as if I know what I'm talking about?

thanks for your help.

davy

Reply to
davy