Rover 600 Headlamp replacement

Hi

Anyone know how to replace the nearside headlamp unit on a rover 600. I have been told I need to remove bumper to do it , is this a hard job for a novice.

Reply to
Big Brian

A friend has just bought one (620i) to scrap, so I'll make enquiries if you like. Need any bits for yours?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I have par ton its way , just need to know how to do it.

DO need front nearside fog lamp ocver thingy . Apart form that i am good

Reply to
Big Brian

If you can wait a couple of days, I'll find out. Chances are I'll be helping strip the car anyway.

I'll have a look. In the meantime, if you know of any particuarly sought after or expensive bits, please let me know. We'll try to remove everything worth while before weighing in the rest as scrap metal, so wouldn't want to miss anything valuable.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

OK, I had a fiddle with the car and got nowhere! Removing a couple of obvious 10mm bolts from the top allows the light unit to wobble, but not enough to come out. The bumper isn't actually stopping it, but another bolt that's hidden by the bumper may be. I'll have another look this evening if I get a chance. Bloody stupid design.

Looks OK, but I suspect we'll want to flog them complete with the foglights. Should know for sure once they're off.

Incidentally, this is a very strange car. A 2 litre 16 valve turbo. Must have gone like hell, but the only outward signs are twin exhausts and alloy wheels. No spoilers or badges to give the game away. No wonder they went bust!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

From what I rember.

Bumper has to come off, Pull back the inner wheel arch towards the frount, there's bit of the cut out and undo the screw. Undo all the bolts holding the bumper to the car by the under cover join. Remove the fog lights or blanks and remove the 2 bolts behind them holding the bumper bar to the car. Then there's 2 bolts behind the lamps.

Once off you can get the frount bolt off the lamps.

There some intructions on

Dan

Reply to
Dan Gibbs

I had another look at our scrapper last night and you're right. Except there's just the one bolt hidden behind the bumper. A bolt that could so easily have been avoided if they'd used a peg pushed down into a hole instead. The top two bolts are easily accessible. Have to say this is one of the most appalling bits of design I've ever seen on a car. Whoever came up with it should be forced to apologise personally to every single redundant Rover worker, not to mention the poor sods who forked out good money buying this crap.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke