Rover 75 Classic SE Fuel Gauge Problem

I thought that I had half a tank of petrol, but when I got into my car this morning the fuel gauge read empty. I went to a petrol station and put 30 litres of petrol in and the gauge is still showing empty, with the warning light illuminated.

Does anyone know if their is a quick fix? Can I do it myself?

If I have to take it to a mechanic what are the likely costs and length of time for the job to be done?

This just seems to have happened overnight and I don't recall any previous signs that the fuel gauge might be sticking or faulty. Can the hot weather affect it?

Adrienne

Reply to
AJ

The only quick fix is if it's just a fuse blown. Other than that, it's probably a faulty fuel gauge sender unit, which is inside the fuel tank. I haven't replaced one on a 75 before so I don't know the cost.

John

Reply to
John