Rover 75 Diesel Electrical Problems

Hi

Its been raining here (Ipswich) all day, when I got in my 51 plate 75 for the drive home I noticed a pool of water in the front passengers foot well but could see no obvious source for this. The car started ok but then the wipers stopped working, the speedo would only read up to 5 miles an hour and the trip computer would not work. I stopped and re started the car and then the wipers worked ok but the speedo and trip computer were still buggered!

I'm guessing but it looks like water has got into the electrics somewhere. Would it be to do with the ECU? I also remember reading somewhere that a "plenum" drain could get blocked and knacker the ECU but am not sure where to look and how to clear it if this is the case.

Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated, as I cannot trust a car with such problems.

Thanks in advance

Mal

Reply to
Mal

Johnnie Scott

Thanks John

Very Helpful! Aren't their better NG's for your attentions ...!

Reply to
Mal

The message from "Huw" contains these words:

He might be American. They still use an apostrophe for plurals of things like MP's and DVD's.

Reply to
Guy King

Is the car fitted with a sunroof? Rover had problems with some 75's with the sunroof drain pipes. The problem was corrected in post April

2004 produced cars.
Reply to
Ian Edwards

As do lots of well-educated English people. The convention varies where abbreviations are plural.

Reply to
Paul Rooney

The difference between 'their' and 'they're' and 'there' is consistent.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

True - I hadn't seen that part!

Reply to
Paul Rooney

Hi,

If you look under the bonnet, in the corners by the gas-struts you should, IIRC, find some rubber grommets - most likely you'll have pools of water where those ought to be...

It's not a difficult jot to clear them out, so that should be your first port of call.

Then, under some of the plastic covers (location varies with engine size, I'm afraid, so I can't be more specific) you'll find the ECU plug-in module. Might be a good idea to whip it out and dry the pins off. Fingers crossed, you should be okay and there won't be any lasting damage - a new ECU is expensive, and depending on the damage, it might not be possible to repair your existing one. But that's a worst-case thing.

With luck you'll be back to driving your 75 with the pride deserved for the best British-built car. :-D

GW

Reply to
Gareth