Rover 820i Central locking?

Hi,

I have a Rover 820i which was broken into a few weeks back.

The car is fine but the central locking has started playing up. If I lock the passenger side door, the central locking locks then 2 or 3 seconds later, as soon as the key is removed, it unlocks.

It's like something is jamming inside the driver's side door but I'm not sure what to look for.

The drivers side lock is damaged which is why I've had to lock from the passenger side. This has been working fine until recently and has only stopped working this week.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Matt McG

If the drivers lock is damaged, then the central locking will be trying to turn it from inside. It can't do so, so the system senses that it (being the "master" lock) is unlocked and opens the others.

I suspect they're probably similar to the system on the 218, in which case they're not too difficult, though a little fiddly. You'll have to remove the door trim and probably the bolt at the bottom of the window channel to gain access. There'e a metal rod to the locking motor which clips into a linkage on the back of the lock barrel; unclip this as a temporary fix. The barrel itself is easy enough to replace, but you'll probably need to remove the door handle to get enough access; this is the fiddliest bit. There are two nuts inside the door skin (ISTR you'll need to wind the window down a bit to access one of them). The handle can then the jiggled out - care not to break it. The barrel fits in with a spring clip.

It's a job I've done several times as the motors are prone to failure!

Reply to
Chris Bolus