Rover 825 Sterling Coupe problem

My mother has had the same problem twice with this car. Driving along at around a moderate speed, the car suddenly started to slow, and the steering wheel seemed to stiffen. She wanted to turn left, but the car was pulling to the right.

After the second incident, she took the car to a garage, but they were unable to find anything wrong. They gave it back to her saying everything is fine.

She's very unhappy about this because she knows there's something wrong with it.

Can anyone suggest what the problem might be?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Tim

(For email: f o rml e s s)

Reply to
Tim Walters

I would look at the power steering belt, tensioners and lastly the pump, then the rack. It will be one of those, not much help I know, but it really is something that the mechanic needs to experience. When I get a car with a problem like that, I keep it and use it for a while till the fault shows, diagnosis is then easier.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

As the OP said that "the car suddenly started to slow", might it be the case that the engine is cutting out? The usual reaction is then to depress the clutch, leaving no power steering.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

.

It's an automatic (something I should have mentioned before).

Tim

Reply to
Tim Walters

it is all surmise really, it needs to be experienced, like the customer of mine that said the horn sounded when she turned a corner. It took me a while to establish (by driving the car) that the head gasket had gone !! The noise was not the horn, but the radiator cap releasing pressure. I have to say it did sound like the horn, but imagine being asked why the horn sounds when I turn on a newsgroup, you would never get the right answer.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

the other complication I have remembered is that this model has speed sensitive power steering, so there is a load of electronics to deal with too.

Reply to
mrcheerful

I thought it was only the Honda Engine 827 that had power sensitive steering?

Reply to
BT News

It was an 825 that I saw it on, although it had a strange history so might not have been a standard car, so you might well be right.

Reply to
mrcheerful