Rover Clutch Bearings?

Hi all.

Car is a 1995 N-reg Rover 214SEi.

When stationary and in neutral, there is a grumbling noise. When clutch is pressed, grumbling disappears.

Grumbling is also heard when driving and in gear (obviously you have to be in gear to be driving...)!

I understand from some research this may be the clutch release bearings. Would I be right? And if so what sort of money are we talking to get fixed at a garage?

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

No this is not the clutch release bearing. It is the first motion shaft bearing, you will probably be able to hear the noise in the lowest gears, progressively getting quieter the higher the gear. The faulty bearing is the one on the input shaft (just after the clutch) I changed one a year ago, the bearing is rather undersized for the application IMO, I got a new bearing and oil seal from an industrial bearing place. The gearbox was easy enough to remove, strip and rebuild. I did not think the car was worth the work/expense, but the owner liked it. Total job was almost 500 pounds including a new clutch and front pads.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Seconded. Common fault on Pinto engined Capris where the default advice is to just leave it and turn up the idle to around 1000RPM.

Reply to
Conor

Thanks for the info. I guess that's why the previous owner traded it in. (I have recently bought the vehicle and have a couple of SEi's now).

However the car only has 34k on the clock and apart from this problem it's near mint, so I'm guessing it *is* worth getting fixed.

However, would a second hand gearbox from a Rover parts supplier be a cheaper option? I understand second hand 'boxes can be picked up for about £100.

Cheers Paul

Reply to
Paul

If it is a weakness, a s/h g/box, even if it is OK could leave you in tha same position as you're in now after a few thousand miles. The cheapest option would be to replace the bearing yourself. Or if you want to keep the car on the road. Buy a s/h g/box and replace the bearing before you fit it. More expensive, but probably still cheaper than having the bearing replaced professionally. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I agree, if you need to keep the car on the road, get a spare second-hand box (probably only about fifty quid if you ask around), strip it and change that bearing first, then just do a gearbox change in one go. Otherwise, allow a day to get the box out and strip it (only partial dismantle is needed) and a day to rebuild and refit.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Cheers guys. Removing and rebuilding a gearbox is beyond my expertise, but I'll get it sorted one way or another as the car is far too good to break for this problem.

Cheers again, Paul

Reply to
Paul

It's not that difficult, just start by having a spare one.

Reply to
Duncan Wood