Rover K Series Cylinder Head Removal

Hi all, Yep, head gasket's gone on this engine, it's done 93,000 miles so not overly cheesed off about it. However this job is slightly out of my comfort zone so I would like to ask a couple of questions please if I may. It's a 16V 1400 BTW.

It sounds like the biggest danger is allowing the crankshaft to rotate whilst the head is off - is this just a case of disconnecting the battery and not doing anything dickheadish like pushing the car around when it's in gear, or has anyone got any "top tips" to jam the engine still or anything? I know I can cobble together a fancy arrangement with old bits of copper pipe and penny washers to stop the cylinder liners moving - but any simpler suggestions are most welcome.

I've been studying the Haynes manual to get an idea of what's involved, nothing horrendous by the look of it, but I did get a bit perplexed by the following:

The book says to use a special tool to hold the camshaft sprockets together while the timing belt is removed (apparently "so they cannot move under valve spring pressure"). Now, I don't understand why it would be a problem if the camshafts moved a bit whilst taking the belt off, as long as they were lined up OK when I put the belt back on! So why do I have to keep them still whilst taking the belt off!?! And is there any easy way to hold the sprockets other than with the "special tool"? Drill bit shoved in crucial hole or anything?

Also, the book says I must *remove* both camshaft sprockets prior to removing the head. Anyone know why this is necessary? I'd rather not if I don't have to. I do intend to have the head skimmed (or at least checked) before fitting the new gasket. Maybe they won't be able to machine the head with the sprockets in the way?

Thanks for reading, hope some of you can shed some light on my questions

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

the time you took to write this you could have done it ;o)

ive done quite a few of these over the years, dont worry about locking the crank, as long as the battery is disconnected & its not moved in gear you wont have a problem with the liners moving.

the cams need to be locked by sliding a locking tool in between the sprocket teeth ,when its all lined up remove it. cheap to buy, try ebay or halfords.it makes it easier for re-timing the cams as the valve spring pressure spins them out of alighnment if they arnt locked.

you need to remove the sprockets as the cam cover back plate is bolted to the head & the sprockets wont go through the back plate. mark the cams sprockets as they have two slots so it is possible to put them back on wrong, they are marked though "in" & "ex"

the cams need to be removed otherwise you cant remove the "4 foot" long head bolts as the headbolts are very close to the edge of the cams, plus the engineering company likes to have them removed for skimming purposes. you should get a decent headgasket set, which should contain four new cam seals, 2 black, 2 brown, plus it should come with two new head to block mounting dowels as some of the k series heads had plastic dowels fitted, these used to break up which caused the head to shimmy on the block, i like to fit new head bolts, but you can re-use them by measuring their height. dont drop the headbolts down the holes they came out out when refitting, guide them down, otherwise you will damage the crankshaft carrier as the bolts hold the whole thing together, hence the length of them.

Reply to
reg

Amidst all the dross, arguing, insulting, and trolling, a decent question and answer sometimes come along in most groups, thus justifying their existance :-)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

In message , Wingedcat writes

[snip}

In addition to the good info from reg, I would suggest checking these links:-

The first one is a video of the cambelt being changed (engine removed for clarity). The second is a step by step guide.

I did one a couple of months ago and the biggest problem I had was locking up the engine when undoing the crank bolt. A pneumatic impact gun will do the job but if like most people you don't have one, you will probably have to remove the starter and jam a screwdriver in the starter gear.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

< SNIP lots of useful advice from Paul and reg> >

Thanks to you both for your advice.

Yes of course Reg you are right, I need to get the camshaft sprockets off otherwise I can't get the timing belt rear cover off. I must admit, I hadn't intended to remove the cams - is this really necessary in order to remove the headbolts, or have I misread or misunderstood. Fair play, I will take them out if I need to get the head skimmed, but don't want to dismantle the head unless I have to.

The video was useful as were the MG Rover forums - so thanks. I think I will employ a "glamorous assistant" to apply firm pressure to the brake pedal to get the crank bolt undone. If I can't find such a person I suppose my girlfriend will have to do.

Thanks again

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

In message , Wingedcat writes

I don't think that will work. It didn't for me. I had a breaker bar with steel tube over it to extend the range to about 3 ft. There was so much backlash through the gear train and engine mounts, I could turn the bar (the end of which was touching the garage floor) about 3/4 of a turn (until the bar was touching the floor on opposite lock) and the bolt hadn't budged. I think you will have to lock the crank directly using the starter gear.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Will be interested to read how you get on with this. My Rover has done

120,000m, and after an overheat due to a failed thermostat last summer it started to leak oil from the head gasket. A shame, as before the overheat it never burnt or dripped any oil at all:-( However, there is no sign of water / oil mixing, so I decided to just live with it. It just passed it's MOT - but in the last 10 months I have used 10 litres of oil, so as it passed the test maybe it's worth getting it fixed...?
Reply to
GTS

10 litres of oil is £10-£20. Doing a headgasket on that is going to be considerably more and it's likely to need a skim. It's really in the "not worth it" category.
Reply to
Conor

Scrap it. Honestly. Nice enough car when they work, but once they start popping head gaskets they're just a bloody nightmare to put right, and they _all_ eventually pop the gasket.

Reply to
Pete M

Sorry Pete but that's not always good advice. Its not a difficult job to put right and can be done for around £200 including the skim.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

If that's the cost of a garage doing it, I'd want to know where they took shortcuts.

Reply to
Conor

No, the OP said he was doing it himself. £200 is the rough cost of gasket set, head bolts, cambelt kit and head skim. I think the one I did recently came in at £220.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I wouldn't be able sleep at night if I scrapped it! One of my biggest regrets in life was scrapping my 1989 1.3L Escort for the sake of a couple of hundred quid's worth of welding. Saw me through the best years of my life that car, man and boy.

So I won't be scrapping the Rover for the sake of =A3200.

Luke

Reply to
Wingedcat

Also you have the benefit of a car you have maintained, know and are familiar with. I think that's worth quite a bit in itself. Plus personally I don't want a car with all the modern bells and whistles and attendant technical and expensive problems. KISS is my motto.

Reply to
Andy Cap

Reply to
Aggreived

A skim will make infinitessimal difference to the compression pressure (it is likely to be less after a rebuild and skim due to the clean out of any coke residue) and it isn't high compression that makes the gasket blow.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Aggreived writes

Utter rubbish! Do you know why the K series gaskets blow in the first place? And as MrCheerful says, a skim will make an imperceptible difference to the compression ratio.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I did a pal's one some three years ago including having it skimmed. Still fine. You have to remove rather more to make much difference to the CR than is needed to true things up. Not that the CR has anything to do with gaskets blowing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
Aggreived

Only if you don't keep a nice cushion of oil in there.

Reply to
Duncan Wood