Rover to be built in china, Using MG Rover technology

Shanghai Automotive (General Motors' principal Chinese partner) will now be producing Rover cars in China.

Ivan

Why did they renew the Longbridge lease, I wonder?

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

Reply to
a.n.other

I originally heard the story on the CCTV-9 English language business news earlier today, they emphasised the link with 'GM', also 'MG Rover technology'.

Reply to
Ivan

Niche 'British manufactured' MG sports car production?

Reply to
Ivan

Yes. The K-Series engine is a fantastic piece of engineering.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Between head gasket replacement.

Reply to
SteveH

"Of course, the K-Series suffered from the famous weakness of its head gaskets, and effort was made during production to put the fault right - but as has been widely reported, these efforts were not wholly successful. Speaking in confidence to austin-rover.co.uk before the company went into administration, one production engineer said: "we knew exactly what we needed to do to put the K-Series right, but management simply wouldn't allow us to do it... it was frustrating to see such a fine engine dragged through the gutter by mean spirited management."

Ivan

It doesn't detract from the fact it's a fantastic engine, let down by pen pushers and a completely inadequate cooling system

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Sandy Nuts ( snipped-for-privacy@these.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

which worked fine on the Origami 200's 1.4 - it was the stretch to 1.8 and BMW's "upgrades" to the design that fubar'd it.

Reply to
Adrian

AFAIK It was 1.6/8's that suffered the worst. I've heard of a few 1.4's falling victim, however.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Sandy Nuts ( snipped-for-privacy@these.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Later ones, I bet.

Reply to
Adrian

Reading that website indicated that there was some pretty tasty engines under research and development.. anyone happen to know what exactly the Chinese did acquire for peanuts in the way of engine technology?

Reply to
Ivan

. anyone happen to know what exactly the

Apart from how contact breakers work? ;-)

-- Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Careful Stuart, I'm old enough to remember when similar gibes were made about the Japanese motorcycle and motor vehicle manufacturers. :0)

Reply to
Ivan

And then they as a joke (the Chinese) sent us the Jiangling Landwind, the worlds worst car. :o(

As they say in Shanghai, may you live in interesting times, but preferably not in a Landwind.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

?Every journey starts. with one small step?.... Chairman Mao. Sounds like he knew something about the quality of Chinese car building!

Reply to
Ivan

There is a lot to be said about the build quality when the crumple zone is THE car...!

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

I've known plenty of the 1.4's head gaskets going. Mine included :-( It's still a brilliant engine when running properly. Revs like a bike and is a lot of fun for the size.

Reply to
gazzafield

gazzafield (rufty_tufty snipped-for-privacy@nospam.thankyou.says_I.ko) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

What age?