Rover V-8 oil level sensor.

The oil level sensor system on my SDI is no more, and spares are not easy to get. Do any later Rover V-8 engined models use a similar system - preferably where the sensor will fit the existing thread in the sump - even although the electronics etc are different?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote

Do any later Rover V-8 engined models use a similar system -

Isn't the SD1 engine the same engine as Range Rovers had?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Pretty much. A friend has swapped bits around AFAIK.

Bear in mind that a friend had this problem, and replaced it with a "compatible" part - the original one was closed when it had pressure, compared to normally closed with no pressure.

This meant the oil light was on when driving, and off if it had low pressure.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

"Pete Smith" wrote

I imagine it is a simple mechanical part and my guess would be that something inside the sensor has siezed.

"Hit it with a hammer" would be my first port of call, closely followed by "strip it down on the wife's kitchen table". Then get shouted at.

I know it's nice to have *everything* working on a car- my own car is an

11-year-old Rover Sterling on which everything bar the boot light works- .but at the end of the day, the OP's car has still got a dipstick.

I believe the SD1 used a Buick engine, it might be worth trying them?

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

Knight Of The Road ("Knight Of The Road" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The Rover v8 was a Buick engine for a couple of years in the early '60s, then a Rover engine for about 30 years.

Three guesses which manufacturer's name is more likely to find you parts...?

Reply to
Adrian

Buick, given the fact that you can still build some 60s yank cars "new" from off the shelf parts?

Reply to
Doki

It's not a switch and not for oil pressure. It's for oil level - a warning light comes on if it's too low. It's not essential since mine uses hardly any oil anyway but I'd like it working - as you do sometimes with this sort of thing.

I don't actually know how it works - it's not a float or anything simple like that. It looks a bit like a temperature sensor - just a brass tube that pokes into the oil at the minimum level on the side of the sump. If the oil drops below it a light comes on.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Don't think so - it's an electronic sensor of some kind, but I'm not sure exactly how it works.

Nothing to strip down. The electronics are fine as I checked by substitution - it's the actual sensor that's faulty and that is a sealed unit.

I very much doubt they had a similar design in those days. Rolls had an oil level check in the '50s - but this used a float like fuel gauges.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It's not available from them but:

I would try them.

Reply to
Fred

In article , Fred

I'll certainly try them but they all seem to be float types.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As mentioned before MANY times when you ask for Rover spares, contact RPI Engineering.

and they will help - IF you are genuine.

Reply to
john

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Dave Plowman (News), managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Try Runcorn SD1 centre. The bloke who owns it lives close to me if there's an issue with getting him to post it, I can forward it to you.

Reply to
Pete M

You could try Oselli, they used to play with Range Rovers

Duncan Wood

I'm trying to work out what the market for fake Dave Plowmans would be?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They're certainly good at selling you crap camshafts and followers - I'll give you that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm afraid Ian has zero knowledge of this sort of thing.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate Dave Plowman (News), managed to produce the following words of wisdom

Ah well.

Reply to
Pete M