Rumble - gears or clutch?

I've got a bearing on the way out. When the engine is running, either when driving, or when idling, there is a rumbling. Push the clutch pedal down, and it goes away while the pedal is depressed. So, is that the clutch release bearing, or maybe a gearbox input shaft?

Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
A.Lee

Input shaft bearing is the most likely, if the noise slowly disappears (second or two) after you press the clutch (as the gearbox internals slow), then it is pretty definite. Clutch release bearing would be noisy/ier when you push the clutch down. Failing DMF is possible too, but that would change sound the instant you press the clutch. Taking the gearbox out is the only way to know 100 percent. I correctly diagnosed input shaft bearing on a Rover 600 a few years ago and just replaced the bearing, that car had been to two garages and received a new clutch prior to my looking at it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Is it a *new* sound? I ask only because in 2003 I started to drive occasionally a 2000 Fiesta 1.25 Zetec with a noise like that . It had just the same noise when I last drove it 35,000 miles later. No work on clutch or gearbox in the meantime.

Reply to
Robin

Some gearboxes are quite noisy in neutral at idle, vectra boxes spring to mind, along with older Fiats.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I should perhaps have made clear this was noise was as Alan described - ie when in neutral and when in gear, whatever the revs. The only time it was quiet was when the clutch was depressed (whether in neutral or in gear). Worried the owner (who'd bought it from her company at end of a lease) but a Ford main dealer just said "some of them do that - it's within spec" so she had no real come-back.

Reply to
Robin

Hello I need code for Blaupunkt-werke GMBH Gamma 5 vw z1z3x8468724

881-7-648-227-060 thanks a lot
Reply to
alpaceno

this is the radio image