Running in, using a lot of oil

To anyone who knows the history... I have paid my money and taken my chance, made my bed and will lie in it etc.

But after new rings and bore cleaning I am noticing oil use to the tune of 1 litre in the first 100 miles since the cars return. Could this possibly be normal, the mechanic suggested that this may improve as surfaces conform to each other.

Opinions from anyone in the know appreciated.

Reply to
R D S

Sorry I dont pay complete attention to the newsgroup- the car is....?!!?!?!?

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..

Reply to
R D S

I didn't mention it as they burn oil anyway. Its a 2.0TS Alfa 156

Reply to
R D S

Oil leak? or roapy repair.

Reply to
Seaping Shitter

That is far too much, it has probably got a broken or stuck ring.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Usually one would get less oil usage after a ring change. The whoel running in thing is a bit of a myth. Maybe it wasn't filled properly when you got it back. at 1 litre per 100 miles you should be able to see if it's being burned or not.

Reply to
adder1969

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "adder1969" saying something like:

Very. I had a Shite New Marina that did 40miles per pint and that was a noticeable smoker - not blue clouds, but you could see the blue haze behind it.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

It went to an engineers and had the bores honed with some sort of lime device.

I didn't mention the model of car as I feared the Alfa's burn oil/no they dont/its the clueless fuckwits argument.

Reply to
R D S

It was filled OK, I checked it as soon as I got it home, then again after driving, it was going down steadily. It looks a bit puffy but in this damp windy weather its hard to tell.

Its done 250 miles now, had approx 2 litres and the dipstick is halfway.

Ill just keep filling it, its getting no more work.

Reply to
R D S

The loss is just too fast; I suspect there is a leak somewhere. If you can find a dry garage and put some cardboard under the engine bay overnight.....etc, etc..

Reply to
Lin Chung

IF. GROI. :-)

Reply to