SAAB 9-5 mystery wheel/transmission/brake noise

A couple of months ago I was driving my SAAB 9-5 1.9 TiD when I noticed a noise from the offside front wheel area. It sounded like a grating/ scratching noise that was occurring once per wheel revolution. I took it to my local garage (good people) but they couldn't identify the fault - possible wheel bearing problem , drive shaft problem or brake caliper problem but there was nothing obvious and they were reluctant to just start replacing parts on the off-chance that it might cure the problem.

As there was no obvious immediate risk of failure I have driven it around for a couple more months. The problem has remained and, if anything, become more noticeable. I took it back to the garage today and again they can't identify the source of the problem.

The symptoms are as follows:

Noise that appears to be coming from offside front wheel

The noise is variable - it seems to become more obvious after the car has done a few miles. It is sometimes really loud but at other times it is less obvious

It is "rotational" - it appears to correspond with each wheel revolution

It is usually most obvious on the over-run. It seems to disappear under acceleration and under firm braking.

There is occasionally an initial "clonk" when moving off or when accelerating again after taking my foot off the accelerator (I don't know if this is related).

There is no obvious vibration or other problem with the steering.

Any ideas anyone?????????????

Reply to
TMack

Most likely would be a brake disk fault. Unless they are very recent and perfect then change them and the pads.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Stab in the dark - broken suspension spring. We had something similar on the wife's 9-3, and when we figured out what it was, it was the bottom of the spring had proven off leaving a sharp edge point towards the tyre. I know a few other people who had 9-3's that had the same issue, it might be a common fault across the range.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Ball joint failed / loose allowing contact between fixed parts of suspension and brake disc

Corrosion on outer surface of CV joint shell / CV joint boot clip catching hub carrier.

A clonk is most likely to be loose wheel nuts / bolts

Reply to
The Other Mike

or loose caliper

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Update - replaced the wheel bearing and problem solved. The bearing wasn't noisy when not under load, hence the garage having difficulty with the diagnosis.

Reply to
TMack