Saab 95 flywheel cover

I need to replace the crankshaft seal on my ssab 95, and to do this I need to remove the flywheel cover and jam the cog to stop it turning while I remove the crankshaft pulley. Where is the flywheel cover?

Reply to
Jack

According to Autodata the saab 95 went out of production in 1976, is that the model you mean? or a 9-5? if so which engine? I am not familiar with saab, but many vehicles have a removable flywheel cover at the bottom of the engine next to the sump, usually held on by 3 or

4 bolts, once that is off you can see the flywheel.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Reply to
Jack

I would be finding out for sure about the seal before replacing it.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Hi,

I can't help direct with your Q, and my current 9-5 is a bit newer than yours. For my previous 9000 (1997) 2.0 lpt (probably the same as yours engine/gearbox) the Haynes manual gives as 1st instruction to put the gearbox in 4th (or 5th I guess) and have an assistant depress the brake pedal ... it then goes on to give alternative instructions on how to jam the flywheel (different to what you describe).

However, you may be right it is the oil seal alternatively (again in my

9000) the belt tensioner was supposed to be filled with oil and when I got it replaced and got my old one back the mechanic was telling me not to tinker with it because it would "explode". On 9000s the advise on the street was to replace both belt and tensioner when due to be done. If the crankshaft seal was leaking as badly as you imply you should have been seeing oil stains on the floor.

If it helps a little.

Regards Charles

Reply to
Charles C