Same cars?

I know that Fiat Punto Grande, Vauxhall Corsa, Alfa Mito, Lancia Ypsilon (AKA Chrysler Ypsilon) are all cars from the same platform.

Fiat 500 and Ford Ka are also from the same platform.

But today I spotted a Fiat Punto Evo parked next to a new Ford Fiesta, the resememblence was uncanny. Change the front grille, and the Fiat Punto Evo transforms into a Ford Fiesta and visa versa. Is this a new platform from the old Punto? Otherwise you would have Vauxhall = Ford, which can't be true?

Reply to
johannes

Should have gone to Specsavers.

Reply to
SteveH

Just as with animals on different continents, designs seem to be getting convergent. I reckon it's being driven by the use of CFD.

Reply to
Newshound

More like meeting world impact safety testing. Which has totally borked any improvements made by CFD as all cars got about 10-15cm wider to provide space for side impact structures and air bags. This has also rasied the cars waistline and the roof height has been increased to regain glass area. To prevent lateral collapse there are more under floor structures (filled with stowage spaces or batteries) To meet frontal ped impact testing the car's front has increased in height and become blunter.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Good point, I guess the noses are all designed around pedestrian impact, but things like mirrors, wheel arches, rear end profiles are perhaps still driven by CFD.

Hadn't twigged that width was driven by side impact, but it's very noticeable how parking bays in old sites are increasingly too narrow.

Reply to
Newshound

Peter Hill wrote: [snip]

That is, of course, the cheap option. The up-market car makers have avoided the Mr Blobby looks by using active devices to meet the pedestrian impact requirement.

It's not inevitable that all cars should look the same it is a consequence of lazy, cheap design.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Then vidare uno momente cosi, a Forda Fiestae, No?

johannes