Sanding Primer Before Painting

When sanding primer before painting I have seen it mentioned that the primer should be given a "a light abrade" with wet and dry. Is this with the paper wet ? or dry ?

Secondly what is "the orange peel effect" and how does one get rid of it ? Any help/ advice most gratefully received

Reply to
ramjaminn1

Usually wet. Main difference between doing it wet or dry, is that wet the paper doesn't clog up as quickly.

Orange peel effect is normally caused by contaminents (typically silcon from wax products) on the surface being painted. It causes the paint to form an non-uniform covering, similar to the appearance of an orange skin, with dips/holes where the paint hasn't taken (it's a simialr effect to water balling on a freshly waxed panel)

Reply to
moray

In message , moray writes

Thank you for your helpful reply- how does one get rid of this orange peel effect if it appears ?

Reply to
ramjaminn1

I think you may have to rub it down again and start over ... although others with more knowledge should be along to verify this.

Reply to
James

Orange peel is also caused by spraying with the paint too thick or too with too low a spraying pressure. To get rid of it you would rub it down with wet-or-dry (say 240 grit) until the surface is smooth and then finish it off with finer paper. It depends a bit on how bad the orange peel is. However bad it is you can get rid of it but what paper you use depends.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

No that is wrong! Orange peel is the effect you get after spraying with the gun too close to the surface or the paint is applied too thick or dried too quickly so it has not atomised properly at the nozzle of the spray gun.

Orange peel can be formed in almost any paint substance including lacquers and the remedy to remove it is usually either a wet flat and polish or in some cases just a polish.

The common orange peel appearance is basically caused by the failure of the paint substance to flow out completely level. The effect is not caused by silicone, silicone creates "fish eyes" or craters, orange peel is a modern effect accepted on some cars because the manufacturers can't be bothered polishing them out.

Orange peel is not formed by silicone or contaminants.

Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen Hull

THis page

onthe Max Meyer website is very useful in diagnosing and correcting paintproblems.

Reply to
asahartz

Not so - it's caused by a variety of reasons but not contaminants. Silicon gives 'fish eyes'.

Moderate orange peel can be sorted by polishing the paint after it's hard.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Ah bollocks! I'm away back to bed before my dose of man-flu causes any more brain meltdowns!

Reply to
moray