Satnav - update or replace?

I've a TomTom one which I've never updated, so it will occasionally get a bit confused, but no big deal. I've never tried any others, so don't know how to compare, but I do find the display a bit slow and jerky, which is annoying, and sometimes makes me miss the odd turn on a roundabout.

I was considering updating, but the display annoyance is also making me think about just getting a new one. Trouble is, if it's a case of "they all do that, sir", I'll be a bit miffed at shelling out for something that's no better than what I've got.

So, has satnav display performance improved over the last few years? Or should I just improve my satnav interpretation skills?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

I've just updated a slightly flakey old Tomtom with a new (cheap) one, it has the merit of free map upgrades as well as a nicer screen. And it auto inverts so can be easily mounted on a dash or the screen.

Reply to
newshound

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:14:46 +0100, Etaoin Shrdlu wrote: [...]

I had an old TomTom that died recently. I replaced it with one of the cheapest TomToms available. It's an order of magnitude better, and has free lifetime map upgrades.

The Windows software is as dire as ever sadly...

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Don't forget that smart phone apps have improved greatly over the years. Using Waze currently which seems to work well and Nav Free which uses downloadable offline maps.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Um, I'm one of those out-of-touch old fogeys that doesn't have a smartphone. I do actually have a mobile phone, but if I leave it on all the time, the battery goes flat. I never remember to charge it each week.

OTOH, the missus has one (of course) - I'll see what can be got for that.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Okay, well I'll think I'll take a look at the new TomToms. Unless anyone thinks there's a better brand out there?

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

I wish that I could merge the best bits of the available apps and create my own version! Agree that Waze is quite good in some ways but I hate the need for connectivity. Sure it downloads and stores enough to do your journey - until you divert or want to change when you are in an area without coverage.

I use my Nexus 7 as an excellent GPS when I really need one. The big screen is a delight. But I actually use my Galaxy S2 much of the time. I also really rather like Nokia's HERE Drive+ on my work Nokia 1520. Partner also sometimes navigates using her iPad. But it would be luxury to use the same software regardless of the device.

I recently sold my old TomTom on an auction site. Hadn't bothered to get it out at all in over a year. Cost of map updates hacked me off from the very start (after the first "free" period). Wouldn't have minded paying something but not what they were asking.

Many devices now support Glonass as well as GPS - not at all clear how much that helps, but accuracy is rarely an issue these days.

Reply to
polygonum

And much good it does. Just spent a few days on Exmoor. Didn't bother fetching the satnav out of my car. Partly no real need and partly as I'd just buggered about with installing NavFree and 500Mb of UK maps. Having pootled about a bit and with a looming dinner engagement to stagger along to, out comes the dimphone.

No data connection, it moans. WTF!!

Turns out that while its got the maps and some major points, everything else it still does over a data connection. Grrrr.

Reply to
Scott M

Like so many other things that insist on a data connection, I expect it's trying to make money out of you somehow.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Root phone, install AdBlock - is about the second thing I do with anything Android!

As far as I can tell it needed to talk to the server to be able to unravel a postcode or look up place names that weren't major cities.

Reply to
Scott M

Being mean sods on PAYG, missus and I have disabled data connections. It's surprising what won't run on WiFi alone. We even got a sort of Paint app for the boy to play with. It insisted on a data connection for some weird reason.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

Well, if you're using the free version that's fair enough. I have the paid for version and I *think* it works okay without a data connection but as I have unlimited data over here and Waze seems to be working okay I haven't really tested it out properly.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I suppose everything wants to phone home or fetch ads and the reason for giving free stuff away is to make money in other arcane ways.

FWIW, being equally mean and having used ASDA PAYG for years, I finally shifted to a SIM only contract with Three. It's about £7 a month which is only a smidge more than I was spending on PAYG.

Reply to
Scott M

You're talking to someone who pays about £10 every 18 months or so :-) I hardly ever switch it on.

Reply to
Etaoin Shrdlu

I'm still on Paygo, but I use the home WiFi at home, I'll have to experiment... At the moment I'm on a £3 a month data payment, but haven't assessed it yet, may need more.

Reply to
Gordon H

Well if you use it as satnav it'll need car charger

Reply to
Duncan Wood