Scarcthes on glass

With the ever looming MOT coming up and a touchy fella he is to I have a few actually quite a few 3 longish sctraches on the drivers side of the windscreen god knows how they got there (done by previous owner) and I know the MOT doesn't strickly fail for it but if it obscures your view which to me it doesn;t but is visible when driving. I wanted to know if I need a new windoscreen or if there is something out there that can polish it out ?

Advice welcomed :-)

Reply to
munki

Usually by a female wearing a diamond ring, then using the back of her hand to wipe the screen. Can't help with how to remove the scratches though, but never buy a woman a diamond ring, it will save you loads of money :-)

Reply to
Harry Stottle

You can polish them out, but if they're deep then the windscreen wipers never quite work as well again.

Duncan Wood

Was bought from a woman with rings .. ugh never noticed when I bough tit actually, I was so focused on mechanical problems, tsk.

Reply to
munki

Very useful site Duncan, thanks.

They're on the inside but doubt theres any difference so maybe worth polishing them out and fingers crossed it will work or new window time. Auto windows quoted me £530 for a new window and fitting! which sounds a tad high to me.

My insurance covers a broken or chipped windoscreen but not scratched so they won't pay out for one either :(

Maybe worth phoning a VW breakers and getting and independant to fit one.

Hmmm...

Reply to
munki

Err yup, £530 is the headline insurance price, any local independent will undercut that by a very large margin. You can polish them out on the iside, use larger pads as you get a little distortion if you use the tiny ones, firm pressure is quite firm & keep it damp, You only need a smear of powder & it's slow but not that bad, I thibk there's some quite good videos on Youtube if you really want to know what you're letting yourself in for.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Top stuff. I am quite interested on saving some money and not getting a new one and hoping it polishes out without too much distotortion.

...wonders off to you tube.

Reply to
munki

Hit it with a hammer.

Reply to
BGN

so walk outside and whack the screen with a stone

Reply to
Mrcheerful

My 1st thought too :-)

Graham

Reply to
Graham 2

You bunch of criminals lol. And that will end up costing everyone more on their insurance premium as tempting as it is I'm a bit too honest for my own good.

Reply to
munki

Cos' I'll end up knocking my door mirror off lol.

Reply to
munki

An indepenent glass place will charge about 80 -100 quid for a new screen. I recently got one for a Vectra replaced for 85 quid cash, and that is a huge screen with tinted bit at the top.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

In message , Harry Stottle writes

BTDT. In my case I didn't buy her the rings, she had three previous owners . :-) You wouldn't believe the abuse I suffered when I pointed out how the scratches got there!

Thank Dog for climate control, clears the steamy windows before they get chance of wiping 'em.

Reply to
Gordon H

i did it successfully some years ago using progressively finer wet and dry. it does take some time though. ending up with t-cut and slightly abrasive polish (metal polish). very satisfying when finished though.

Reply to
john royce

Jewlers rouge will get the scratches out

Reply to
steve robinson